Chapter Three

The museum was a buzz with the potential news that one of their own would be going on the Luxor dig. The last person to go on an actual expedition was Doctor Hahn, but that was over twenty years ago.

He couldn't contain his pride as Anna told him in hushed excited whispers. 'I am so immensely proud of you Anna!' He marvelled, turning to Miriam and Margot who hovered in the door. 'What do we think, ladies. Should we announce it at the gala this Saturday?'

'Of course!' squealed Miriam.

'Especially as it would upstage that blonde shit,' Margot added.

'Now, now, Margot,' said Herr Hahn. 'Our new patrons need to be shown the utmost respect.'

'You mean like he did to Anna?' Margot said, gesturing to her friend who's cheeks stung pink. 'He completely embarrassed her.'

'I'm sure he meant no harm,' said Hahn, looking to Anna. 'And I'm sure you were polite in your rejection?'

'Aren't I always?' mumbled Anna.

'There would be no harm in entertaining it though,' Hahn continued. 'He is quite the charmer, so I gather.'

'Then you should give up you perpetual bachelorhood and date him yourself, Alby.'

Hahn's laughter boomed around his office. 'I don't have the wit to keep up with him in the way you do, dear Anna.'

Disregarding him, Anna cleared her throat as she gathered her papers. 'I have some paperwork to do. If anyone needs me, I'll be bunkered down in archiving.'

'Would you have time for a celebratory drink at lunch?' Hahn asked. 'I've been dying to crack open this fine Brut...'

'Save it for the gala,' said Anna. 'Then we can all enjoy it in our finery.'

'And you can detail us the paper you plan to write about the experience,' Hahn called as Anna strode away.

She was bursting with ideas on that front and had no idea which she would choose. Luxor was an ancient city teaming with possibilities. How would she ever decide? Perhaps she should just wait until she got there to make her mind up.

Her heels clacked on the marble floor as she hurried down the corridor towards the stairs. The lift always jolted far too much when it went all the way to the basement, and she point blank refused to suffer being trapped in it like poor Miriam had last year.

As she made her way past the new Keller wing, she paused.

The door was ajar.

Frowning, she ventured closer and peered inside. Her heart fluttered the moment she saw the figure lingering by the Nefertiti case.

Mathias gazed at the statue, his scrutiny clear, even from the other side of the room. His jacket was slung over his shoulder, his sleeves rolled up to combat the unseasonal September heat. He hadn't spotted her, his focus entirely on the ancient queen.

Anna cleared her throat.

His mouth spread to a devilish grin the moment he saw her. 'Good morning, Doctor Lehman.'

'Herr Keller,' she said courteously, stepping further into the room. 'How did you get in here?'

'Your security guard let me in,' he said, strolling towards her. 'Seeing as there was no one at the reception desk.'

His gall did not surprise her, though it did make her fidget in her shoes. 'This wing is not open until the gala this Saturday.'

He shrugged. 'It's my family's money. I assumed that didn't apply to me.'