Take My Whole Life Too

29 March 2002
Isle of Skye ~ Draco

They arrive on the island with their hands clasped tightly together. Draco doesn't want to let go of her, not after what happened only hours ago. He can't bear the thought of Hermione enduring any more pain than she already has. Just the idea of his witch being hurt again feels like a slicing hex straight through his heart.

Unsure of what they would walk into once they arrived on the Isle, Draco intentionally apparates them to a secluded spot behind a cluster of standing stones. He needs a moment with Hermione before the battle ensues. A moment to tell her what she means to him, to tell her how much he loves her and is thankful for everything she's done for him and their daughter. Draco needs one moment to ensure she understands the depth of his feelings, in case it's the last.

The instant their feet hit the damp grass, the hand not holding hers comes up and gently caresses down the side of her cheek. Draco takes the time to study every constellation of freckles splashed across her face as if he hasn't already memorized each one.

"Draco, what are you doing?" Hermione asks in a whisper, though she can't stop herself from leaning into his touch. "We don't have any time to waste. We have to defeat her. Once and for all."

His thumb tenderly glides along the curve of her chin, lifting her head until her caramel eyes gaze directly into his own. Draco bends down and captures her mouth in a soft kiss, ignoring the war brewing behind them on the other side of the stones. He savors the taste of her, wishing that it could stay on his tongue for all of eternity.

"I love you, Hermione," Draco murmurs against her lips, fingers tightening their grip around her hand. She whispers his name, her voice tinged with hesitation, but the blond continues speaking before she can say any more.

"I need you to know how much I love you. That I've never loved anyone else as much as I love you. Well, until Rose, of course. I never knew I was capable of loving anyone so intensely until the two of you."

Draco pauses his speech to thickly swallow down the lump forming in his throat while still keeping his lips only a breath away from hers.

"You're the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. I may be the one who's named after the stars, but you are the brightest star in the entire universe. You came into my life during my darkest days and illuminated what little good was left in me."

His cheek dampens, and Draco realizes tears are silently rolling down Hermione's face. Swallowing down another lump, he continues conveying his feelings.

"Not only are you the brightest star, but you're also the most exquisite rose in any garden. Vibrant, full of life, and beautiful. You are so beautiful, Hermione—inside and out—and I'm still amazed at the fact that you ever lowered yourself to be with someone like me."

Hermione's fingers tighten their hold on him, and she closes the minuscule distance between their lips in another kiss.

"I have never deserved your love," Draco admits, pulling his mouth from hers. "But I thank all the gods, every single day of my life, that you've chosen to give it to me, anyway."

At the same time he presses another kiss to her lips, Draco disentangles their fingers. His pinky searches for Hermione's, instantly curling around the digit.

"Stop talking like this is the last time you're ever going to see me, Draco."

Hermione whispers her entreaty into his mouth, her words filled with the tears bubbling inside her throat. Draco glides his fingers along the length of her jaw until he's able to tuck a few stray curls behind her ear.