In Another Life, I Would Make You Stay

April 1997

Draco and Hermione lie together in the luxurious comfort of the bed that has now become a permanent fixture in their room. Their legs are tangled together under the purple silk sheets that come up to their waists, leaving their upper bodies exposed. Hermione's head rests on Draco's chest and her fingers lightly draw a myriad of designs on his skin. His arm is wrapped around her shoulder, while his own fingers tenderly run up and down the length of her arm. Her untamed curls have snaked their way up to gently brush against the side of Draco's head. He slowly turns his head to the side, burying his nose in the soft tendrils and deeply breathing in the captivating aroma of gardenias. His eyes close as he basks in the comfort of being utterly encapsulated by everything that is her - her scent, her touch, her love.

Hermione ceases the movement of her fingers against his skin and stretches her arm out across his chest. She tightens it in a firm embrace and nuzzles her face against him. Draco returns the embrace, wrapping both his arms around her and, if possible, pulling her closer to him. His actions cause her to slide up farther against him, her head now closer to his, allowing him to place a kiss against her curls. He hears her let out a soft sigh of contentment when his lips press against her, so he does it again...and again.

After a few moments of repeated kisses to her curls, Hermione turns her head and steals the next kiss with her lips. Draco smiles against her mouth right before he swipes his tongue across her bottom lip. She immediately opens her mouth to him and their tongues meet in velvet bliss. His hands find their way into her curls, like they always do, as they continue to languidly kiss in their post-coital bliss.

Eventually, Hermione slightly pulls her lips away from his and leans her forehead against him. They look into each other's eyes as Draco starts to rub his hands along her back.

"Hi," she whispers.

Draco smiles brightly at her, chuckling lightly at her greeting, despite the fact they've been there together for hours into the night at this point.

"Hi, love," he whispers back to her. Hermione closes her eyes with a smile on her face as she moves down to rest her head into the crook of his neck.

"I love when you call me that," she says against his skin.

He leans his head down to press a kiss to her forehead.

"I love you," he replies.

He can feel her smiling against his neck, and she resumes the designs that her fingers were lightly making against his chest before. Draco slides his arm around her waist, and he gently rubs little circles into her hip.

"What do you think our future would look like if things were different?" she asks him, her eyes trained on where her fingers meet his skin.

"Different?" he asks, knowing full well what she means, but he's never allowed his thoughts to go there - he knows where it leads to.

"Yeah, different," she whispers. "If there wasn't a war, if Voldemort didn't exist, if there wasn't an issue between our blood statuses..." His heart clenches at the mention of their blood. "What would our lives together be like after school?"

Hermione turns her head to look at him, still keeping her cheek pressed against him. He looks down at her and sees the hopeful desire in her eyes. As much as he knows that imagining an impossible future will hurt, he's willing to do so if it means that she gets to hold onto that hope, even if it's just for the night. He can't bear the thought of her heart breaking over this like he knows his own will break.