Ch. 16 *Dinner At The Emerson's*

*1 week later*
LUNA

I exhale. "Okay...this outfit is nice, isn't it?" I ask myself.
I spin around in my room, staring in the body size mirror. My hair is tied back into two braids with some feathers attached, and a golden locket necklace hanging off my neck.

It's a modest outfit

It's a modest outfit. Yes, I think it will do.
Still, I run downstairs to seek Mom and Dad's approval.
Dad lowers his newspaper, and Mom stops her knitting.

Her eyes widen softly when she sees me, but Dad smiles.
"You look nice, honey," Dad stands up, hugging me with one arm. "Whose the lucky man?"
"Dad," I laugh as I push him away gently. "Michael is just a friend."

Mom gets up as well, approaching me, her hands raised to be level with my jaw.
She stares at me with saddened eyes, and parted lips.
"Mom?" I ask.
She exhales softly. "My little girl," she runs a hand to smooth my hair down. "You're growing up so fast. You..." She croaks, swallowing, "you look so much like your sister."

My eyes widen.

It's the first time Mom has mentioned Star, since I've found my sister.
I feel a pinch in my heart, and I open my mouth.
"Mom-"
"Well, its getting late Luna," Dad nods towards the door, "you should head out. You don't want to be late for the dinner."

"Okay Dad," I hug Mom. "Love you."
"I love you too," she replies, sniffling to keep her tears in. "Have fun sweetheart."
I wave both of them goodbye and step outside, it's still light enough to walk. And to be honest, the walking will clear my head.

I nearly told Mom about Star.
I can't be that reckless though. But seeing Mom in such pain over her missing daughter, the one that I've been purposely been keeping secret, I wanted to break down and tell her everything.

But I can't.
I must never...
It'll only hurt my parents more. And, hurt Star.
I sigh a shuddering breath, entering the driveway that leads to the Emerson's house.

Its about a twenty minute walk on foot, but I've managed to make it on good time.
I step up to the wooden door, and knock three times.
Suddenly, an old man opens it.
His brow furrows when he sees me. "Who are you?"

I try to smile. "I'm Luna. Michael's friend?" I point out when the old man doesn't get any hints.
"He invited me over for dinner."
"Oh..." He smirks, opening the door wide enough for me to come inside.

"Well come on in," he closes the door behind me, "the boys should be around."
And just when he said that, some spontaneity happens.

"Think fast!"

A ball comes flying, and I catch it, screaming just a little from the sudden THINK FAST moment.
Sam comes running past me, Nanook hot on his heels.

"No running in the house!" A woman carrying a bowl of steaming spaghetti says as she enters the living room. She wears a bright blue dress with a white stained apron tied around her waist, her hair cut short.