Chapter Fifty-Four

Chapter Fifty-Four: You Are In Love

The four sat outside Ms. Kelly's house in Steve's car. "Okay, which one of you is going in?" Dustin asked turning around to look between the girls.

Since both of them have seen Ms. Kelly before, either girl would work. It was just a matter of who wanted to "pour their heart out" to her today. The seemingly obvious choice was squirming in her seat, really not wanting to go.

The obvious choice's girlfriend noticed right off the bat, and decided to volunteer.

"I'll go. I'll just say I was... lonely, or something, and my mom was at work and everyone else was busy. Make up some bullshit about how it reminded me of some rough times or whatever," Max said. "See if I can get her to talk about Fred and Chrissy and the murders or whatever."

The boys nodded. "Sounds good, just don't get swept into her counseling right now, we don't have that kind of time," Dustin replied.

Max nodded in response. Before heading out of the car, she leaned over and gave Annie a peck on the cheek. "Be right back," she said, then left.

They all watched in silence as Max walked across the street, then up the steps of Ms. Kelly's house. "This feels weird," Annie mumbled. "You're not supposed to see faculty over holiday breaks."

Steve nodded. "I'd like to think they don't exist outside of the school, makes me feel better," he said. He never enjoyed seeing an old teacher of his out and about while on a date or at work. Made things feel awkward.

Not long after Max rang the doorbell, the door opened and revealed Ms. Kelly. The two went back and forth for a second, then Max was allowed in. She gave a quick look back at the car, then went inside.

"Okay. She's in," Steve announced.

Annie and Dustin gave him looks. "I'm missing collarbones, not eyes," Dustin said.

"I'm gay, not blind," Annie said as well.

Steve just awkwardly nodded, deciding not to get into either of those comments today.

It was leading up to be a perfect, silent stakeout, but Annie knew Dustin couldn't stand silences. She was not at all surprised when he piped up. "So... we gonna talk about... it?" he asked, looking at Steve.

Annie looked at her brother, seeing if he knew what Dustin was talking about, because she was lost.

"Huh?" He turned and looked over at Dustin. "Sorry, talk about what?" Good, he was also confused.

Dustin gave him a 'duh' look. "Your temporary insanity earlier today when you basically threw yourself at Nance?"

Annie quietly snorted in the backseat, although Steve still heard her and gave her a disapproving glance before looking at Dustin once more. "Okay first of all, that's not what happened-"

"Pretty sure that's what happened. It was public. There were, like, a lot of witnesses," Dustin interrupted. "Even Annie saw- Annie, do you think he threw himself at Nance?"

The girl in question shook her head and held up her hands. "I plead the fifth here, Dusty-Bun, sorry."

Dustin glared while Steve moved on. "Are you implying that I still have a thing for Nance?" Steve asked.

"No. I'm not implying. I'm stating. And, as it related to your steadfast refusal to date Robin..." That phrase had Annie perking up and raising her eyebrows in question to Steve... "it's pretty much the only logical explanation."

Annie shook her head. "That's literally not even close," she said, making a face, but not going any further. Clearly the Party was still in the dark about Robin, so she didn't need to be that detailed in her comment.

The sibling bond between Steve and Annie sometimes extended to being able to just know what the other was thinking. "And as for Nance... I was... just trying to protect a friend," he said.

By the looks on both kids' faces, they didn't believe him. Annie tried, she did, but the way Steve hesitated basically proved Dustin's point. No way was he just "protecting a friend." There was an ulterior motive, whether Steve truly realized or not.

Steve looked at his sister and friend when he didn't get verbal responses. Annie just looked like she didn't believe him, and Dustin had a smirk on his face as he nodded. "A friend, Henderson- Annie! A friend!" Steve nearly yelled in the car.

"Okay," Dustin responded, but he totally didn't believe him.

"I don't wanna... find her in the morning with her eyes sucked out of the front of her skull by this Vecna creep!"

Dustin chuckled. "You're like, bright red in the face right now," he said, and Annie scooted forward to get a look at her older brother.

"Oh my gosh, you're right, he's so red," she gasped.

"No, I'm not," Steve said, and turned away from the kids. "I don't wanna talk about it- I'll punch you so hard your teeth will fall back out."

"Whoa." Dustin's whole demeanor changed in a snap, his face relaxing from the smile it had been holding. Steve looked over at him. "Too far."

Steve paused. "Not cool."

"Not cool."

"Sorry!"

"It's okay..."

The dudes fist-bumped and resumed their stakeout positions. "I almost wish I wasn't here for that," Annie mumbled to herself, staring at Ms. Kelly's door again. She decided to tune out any and all conversation the boys held up front, thinking too hard about Max in there.

At the very least, she hoped Ms. Kelly wouldn't be too offended by them stealing her keys. If all goes according to plan, she'd understand why they had to. Plus, this was better than breaking into her drawer of files. This would leave less damage.

This was part of the plan she and Max had quietly discussed while the boys rattled on about something else. Annie knew Ms. Kelly wouldn't be able to talk about other students, so might as well go read it on their own, right?

Her thoughts had Annie zoning out until something finally moved. She perked up as she registered the movement.

Max had gotten the keys. Step one of the plan was complete, meaning the rest of it was in motion. Steve ambled about Max was basically running to the car. Annie moved back over to her spot so Max could get in quickly and they could step on it.

"What'd she say?" Dustin asked.

"Nothing, just drive."

"What-"

"Steve! Drive!"

Steve made a comment, but got the car in gear and sped out of the neighborhood.

"Head to the school, I got her office keys," Max announced once they were on the road.

The car nearly swerved off the road when Steve whipped his head around. "You what?!"

A/n: I feel like this chapter is shit bc 1) I wrote it last night in kind of a hurry and 2) it's super short and doesn't feel that important. But! That's bc next chapter is going to be very full of all the things!