Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-Three: New Year's Day

Since Mike had gone up to see El over Thanksgiving break, the Byers and El came down just after Christmas. Everyone was excited, because they still got to enjoy their Christmas spoils together, but it also meant spending New Year's together.

It took a lot of planning and even more back and forth. The parents wanted everyone to go out to a nice dinner- the nicest they could get it in Hawkins, Indiana. It landed them at Enzos.

But the kids didn't want just a fancy dinner, they wanted the whole day. They started with the arcade, then making snowmen and angels at the park before they were called back home to get dressed for dinner.

After dinner, they decided to go to the Harrington household. Unsurprisingly, Steve and Annie's parents were out for the week, so the kids got the place to themselves for an epic New Years sleepover.

Someone put on Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve on in the background as everyone ate snacks and hung around the house. The older teens stuck to the kitchen, one of which was Robin. Steve had invited her to come along as a friend.

Annie finally had a chance to talk to Robin, starting with a bang by saying, "I know you like girls."

As expected, Robin was pissed at Steve, until the small brunette hit her with another shocking revelation: "I have a girlfriend. It's why he told me." They had a good conversation and became pretty close. Robin had a crush on a girl in her band class.

Annie was glad to have another gay girl friend- well, technically this is her first. Max didn't really count because she was her girlfriend. Different things.

That night, there were technically only three couples there: Max and Annie, Mike and El, and Johnathan and Nancy. They were all planning on doing the age-old midnight tradition. The others grumbled and groaned about how it was stupid. They were just jealous.

"Oh come on! We can make another round, please!" Lucas begged when people started to put away their pieces for Trivial Pursuit.

Heads around the table shook. "No way, I wanna be ready for midnight," Mike said, his arm around El's shoulders.

Annie stood up and grabbed El's hand to pull her away. "First we're grabbing snacks. I'll grab something for you, Max."

The brunette pulled the other girl along to the kitchen. The snacks and drinks were laid out on the counter along with some bowls, paper plates, and some plastic cups.

"How's the 'Angela' problem?" Annie asked, her volume low so no one would hear.

El had been writing to Mike about how awesome her life was in California.

Annie, on the other hand, got to hear about how it was really going. There were some letters that had Annie nearly begging her parents to let her go to California, even for just the weekend. But, she never did. There was no need to get into that argument.

While it was making Annie mad, she appreciated El being honest with her. She could understand why the girl wanted to lie to her boyfriend, but lying to a friend was something she knew she could never do.

"It's okay. She is just... rude. There are times I want my powers so I can do something but I can't," El said. Her powers had yet to make their triumphant return, much to the Party's disappointment. They meant a lot to El, it's how she lived her life.

Annie half smiled and gave El a small nudge. "Guess it's just the universe's way of saying you should be a normal kid for a bit. I'm sure they'll come back, but for now, you get to know how the rest of us lower class live our lives."

When Annie heard El laughing, she smiled in victory. "Thanks, Annie."

"Anytime, El."

They walked back over to the table and put their snacks down where the game used to be. Annie was about to sit, but Max grabbed her wrist. "Come on!" she said and pulled the girl away from the others.

"Where are we going? I wanted to eat my chips!" Annie complained.

Max chuckled, but didn't explain. The redhead led her girlfriend over to the door to the backyard with the covered pool. They went outside, Max making sure to close the door, then walked out to the grass.

"Look up. I wanted to enjoy the sky one more time before the new year," Max explained.

The girls looked up and enjoyed the stars that shown bright in the sky. "Wow..." Annie breathed. Sometimes, she forgot how beautiful it was up there. But then again, everything was ten times better when Max was by her side, holding her hand and tracing shapes on the back with her thumb.

Sometimes, in these quiet moments where her mind could wander, Annie thought about how much she missed Holly and Meghan. The thought of her friends used to bring feelings of guilt as well, because she always felt it was her fault they were dead.

Nowadays, she can only remember the good. The times she spent with them, with them and Max, and especially the day she told them she liked girls. Their support and love meant everything to her.

"Are you okay?" Max's gentle voice filled Annie's ears. She looked away from the galaxies above and to her whole world on the ground beside her. "You're crying."

Annie hadn't even realized until Max moved a hand to wipe the tears away. "They're happy tears... I've just been thinking about the year and how much has happened. Even though there was so much bad, there was even more good. Like becoming your girlfriend. Nothing could top that."

Max smiled and blushed, and Annie reached out a hand to Max's face, too. From inside, they could here everyone chanting the countdown.

15...

"Here's to 86, Red," Annie said.

12...

"Here's to 86, Barbie," Max replied. "I'm so glad I met you."

5...

"Not more than I."

3...

They adjusted their hands to where Max's were cupping Annie's face and Annie's were on Max's shoulders, playing with her hair.

2...

They gravitated closer.

1...

As they heard the others shout the three words, the girls leaned in for their own midnight kiss. Somewhere in the background, the only couples inside were getting teasing gags and other noises. But out here, Annie and Max only had each other.

When they pulled away, they rested their foreheads together. "Happy new year."

"Happy new year to you, too."

Here's to seeing where life will take them.

A/n: tomorrow, we start season four :)