"Which one did you fuck, Vikaris?" Rimo said. "Kes-Rithal wagers The Grim, but I'm thinking the High Priest. That old buzzard's been showing an unhealthy amount of interest in you of late. He was gripping the balustrade beam like he was spilling out hot and hard into his britches when he was watching you end the whelp Demas with your blade. Tell me, how many times did you have to get on your knees and suck his putrid cock to earn that uniform?"

Juda brushed off the front of his tunic and adjusted his cloak, before turning to face Tor-Narun.

"How typical for a noble-born like yourself to believe ambition is only earned on your knees. Still, I'm sure you have learned much from your father. How is he, by the way? The last I heard he had installed extra cushions for his seat at the Coffer on account of getting his arse flogged so hard by his favourite courtesan, he could barely sit down for half a moon. They say he howls as loud as a Dreynian mountain wolf when they beat his bare backside with the strap."

Rimo stiffened, clenching his fists. The loathing in his eyes pleased Juda. He'd been waiting for such a moment as this since his first tides as a novice.

"You rat bastard Vikaris..." he said, through gritted teeth, his handsome face twisting into an ugly sneer.

"I believe the correct address is now Elite Highguard Vikaris, but fear not, I will not inform The Grim of your oversight. I'd hate to jeopardise your own chances, after all." He took a step closer to Rimo. "Remind me, what was it you said? That you'd make the King's Guard within two more cycles?" He moved closer still, closing the gap between them as Rimo pressed his back against the doorway. "I wish you well with that, I'll surely be waiting for you. Now, did you want me for something, or did you simply come to bid me farewell?"

He stared into Rimo's face, unflinching, cold, despite wishing he could slit the cunt's throat now and be done with it. It should have been him in the bloody square. It should have been Rimo on the slab.

To his credit, Rimo held his gaze, although Juda could see how much he wished to look away. It was a rarity for someone to hold Juda's gaze for too long.

"Commander Grim demands your presence in the bloody square. He says to leave your knapsack. I am to deliver it to your new quarters at the palace."

So, Rimo Tor-Narun, the noble-born, was to carry the bag of the Grimefell rat. No wonder his face was so full of poison.

Juda nodded. "Then I thank you. Be sure to not misplace anything from my belongings, Rimo, or I will return to ensure you locate them. On your hands and knees, if necessary, just like your father."

He took a step out into the passageway and stopped, turning back to pull up close to Tor-Narun.

"Oh, and if I hear that you or any of these overprivileged noble fucks continue to disparage the good name of Argo Demas, I will slice the tongues from your bastard mouths and carve his name into your balls. Of course, in your case, I'll have to make the script incredibly small, but it'll still hurt like a fucker. Be sure to inform the others, won't you?"

With that, Elite Highguard Juda Vikaris left his novice quarters for the final time, and he did not look back once.

Certainty lay ahead, not behind.

***

The midtide sun was high and strong above the training yard of The Serpent Order. Underneath his Elite uniform, Juda could already feel the tunic and britches sticking to his damp skin. It was uncomfortable, but bearable. The Grim had forced them to stand here on hotter tides than this, bearing the full weight of the scorching sun, until the sweat dripped from their faces into the dust, and they could barely stand from heat exhaustion and debilitating thirst.