GENESIS

"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers. From the very beginning, we have always sought to reach out to one another. To bridge the gaps between us. To communicate."

-JEREMY IRONS, SPACESHIP EARTH

PART I: THE CHAMBER OF GUF IS EMPTY

Somewhere, out in the vast, dark nothingness of space, a sphere lay dormant. It was still young for a planet, but old beyond number to any human mind. Black waves reflected the night sky as they gently rolled up and down the freshly cooled, pure white sand of a beach; the ground clear of any shells or rocks, the air only recently rid of toxicity. Splish, splish, the gray liquid fell from primeval palm tree leaves onto the warm sand. Deep purple skies loomed overhead, following a massive storm. The waves continued in their usual pattern, yet the planet was silent- dead to anyone at first glance.

Something began to move beneath the viscous liquid that made up the ocean. A creature, something with appendages. Thin bubbles rose from its silhouette, bursting as they reached the air above, before a fishlike head broke the surface of the ancient ocean. A yellow orange spotted reptilian, not unlike an iguana mixed with a salmon, slowly dragged itself ashore. After clearing the waves, it stopped to rest, breathing heavily using its prototype lungs.

Suddenly, something began stirring, deep within the creature's soul. An ancient instinct, older than the planet itself. He cocked his head up, towards the dark clouds above, and let out a mating cry.

 He cocked his head up, towards the dark clouds above, and let out a mating cry