CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN: Thanks, Pretty Boy

~

Hobie POV:

"We need to get to the bottom of your weird reaction to it. Maybe its something to do with the experimenting on your mother passed down to you..." Miguel averts his gaze, spinning on his spot to face the screens above us. Hand cradling his chin, he seemingly mulls over the possibilities.

In my peripheral, I catch a glimpse of y/n as her body shivers slightly at his words.

I don't blame her. This shit is scary as hell.

I raise a brow in her direction, but don't say anything, not wanting to push an answer out of her.

She doesn't say anything, and I take the hint, typing into my watch to open a portal, ushering her in.

~

"Holy shit, what's wrong wit' ya eyes, sugar?"

"W-what?"

Stepping out of the portal, I had immediately turned back to catch a weak y/n. Holding her tight, she panted heavily, head resting on my shoulder in an attempt to regain composure. After a few minutes of groaning into my shirt, she finally straightened up, revealing her slightly disheveled appearance, along with-

"They-"

"They what? What's wrong?" Face contorted in terror at my words, she takes a small step closer.

My body automatically steps away, back hitting the window to my apartment.

Her face falls at my actions, jaw slack slightly, shoulders sagging. No, I-

"Fuck, y/n, I didn't-"

Eyebrows furrowed, she pushes me out the way of the window, sliding it open and tumbling in through the gap.

Shit.

~

Y/N POV:

"They what? What's wrong?" Hands shaking, I step toward him.

Expression a mask of horror, he moves back, making contact with the window.

Just tell me! Why are you scared? Please, I-

"Fuck, y/n, I didn't-"

He cuts off as I shove him out the way, clumsily falling into his apartment. My back hits the carpet, and I wince at the sharp pain of it.

Mirror, I need a mirror-

Immediately, I push myself off the ground, knees scraping lightly against the rough rugging through the holes of my ripped jeans. I lurch to the bathroom, hearing Hobie's thump once he makes it through the window.

"y/n-"

I continue to ignore him, hitting the wall as I rush to the doorway to the bathroom.

Slipping on the tiles, I finally manage to grasp the lip of the basin, pulling myself up to face the mirror.

All I do is scream. It tears through my throat, feeling like I've swallowed a sea urchin, burning, burning, burning-

~

Hobie POV:

All I hear is a guttural scream coming from the bathroom.

"Y/N?!"

I'm yelling now, desperate for her to just listen-

Finally making it to the bathroom, grip tight on the chipping doorway, I find her zoned out, staring at herself.

At least she's not screaming anymore.

"y/n?" I try, voice soft, as if approaching a skiddish animal.

She doesn't reply. Doesn't show any indicators she even heard me.

Never mind, this is worse than the screaming.

"y/n, please. Say something."

It doesn't even look like she's breathing, as if someone has hit pause on her movements. I move behind her, running my hands down her back like I'd done earlier that day, gently massaging her tense muscles. "Sugar?"

Finally, she lets out a breath, relaxing in my grip. "What the fuck is wrong with me?"

"It's not that bad."

"Seriously? It's rude to lie, Hobart." She gestures towards her eyes in the mirror. "I look crazy!"

y/n swivels away from the mirror, turning to face me. I let my arms slip from her shoulders and down to her hips, keeping her in place.

"I like crazy."

She doesn't seem to appreciate my comment, freaky-ass eyes narrowing at me. I can't help but flinch. Immediately, she swivels her face away from my line of sight. "Sorry."

"No, no. Don't. Seriously, 'm more concerned on how ya feelin'. It doesn't hurt, does it?"

She brings a hand up to her bloodshot eyes, feeling the skin around them. "No."

"The black is receding now, yes?"

Eyes traveling back towards the mirror, she pulls the skin beneath her eyes down slightly, widening them for a better look. "I think they are just red now."

When her eyes had entered mine, they had been lined with black, pulsing veins, obscuring most of the white. Veins shot down through the black, striking against her irises like blood lightning. While it had been frightening at first, it was more just unsettling now.

"That's all that matters."

"Uh, well it kinda matters that I look like a freak drug addict!" She buries her face into her hands, groaning.

"Surely it will fade in a tick, eh?"

Sighing, y/n spins back to face me, leaning into my touch on her hips. "I hope. Should we tell Apple Bottom Jeans about this?"

I snort at her words. "How do you come up with these nicknames?"

"I just spend a lot of my time staring at them juicy buns." She shrugs, cheeky grin spreading across her face. Why not my butt, man? Am I lackin' in that department?

"I'll let 'im know while ya in the shower." I release my grip on her hips, walking out the bathroom in two strides. "Ya basket is in the cabinet."

"OK. Thanks, pretty boy."

My head snaps to face her. "Pretty boy?"

"You're always calling me names. So, its only fair you get one too."

"Sure thing, sweet cheeks."

~
A/N:

i wrote this chapter last night with the intent to post it this morning b4 school so i can read the comments after school before netball so i won't be bored 😈😈

anyways

might introduce someone new soon...

but u will have to wait for that yippee