𝖢𝖧𝖠𝖯𝖳𝖤𝖱 𝖳𝖶𝖤𝖭𝖳𝖸-𝖲𝖨𝖷: 𝖧𝗈𝗅𝗒 𝗌𝗁𝗂𝗍, 𝖶𝗁𝖺𝗍'𝗌 𝖶𝗋𝗈𝗇𝗀 𝖶𝗂𝗍' 𝖸𝖺 𝖤𝗒𝖾𝗌, 𝖲𝗎𝗀𝖺𝗋?

~

I press my fingers to my forehead. They are met with a scorching heat, and the slickness of my sweat. Vision foggy, I grasp at Hobie's arm for some support.

Though he says nothing, his hands travel long my shoulder blades, gently massaging them. I focus on the feeling of his touch, eyes fluttering shut.

"y/n?" A feminine voices chimes. Hobie's hands slide from my back, and I sigh at the sudden absence of him.

"Gwen?"

"Are you alright?"

I wince as I straighten up to look at her. "Uh, not really."

Hobie stays silent, eyes flicking between the two of us, expression unreadable.

"What brings you back? I swear I saw hardly and hour or two ago. I was gonna talk to you, but Pavi and Hobie were ushering you into the elevator before I could catch up." She scratches lightly at her freckled nose.

"Things... Came up. I have another meeting with Miguel." I struggle at finding words to explain the situation.

Gwen's face falls slightly, clearly disappointed by my sudden secrecy. "Alright. See you."

Hobie and I watch as she pivots, walking back the way she came. "I hate being so vague to her."

Still, he remains silent, blinking slowly.

"Why are you being so quiet?"

"I- Nuffink. Let's get going."

~

The elevator ride was silent. If he's going to be so quiet, I'm not gonna push conversation onto him.

Stepping from the metal box, I don't bother to check over my shoulder to make sure he's following. Instead, I stride directly to the raised platform in front of me.

Pictures of Valeesha and news articles fill each screen, Miguel studying them intently, his eyes squinted slightly at the blue light of the bright monitors.

"Why are you staring at pictures of my dead sister?"

"l/n, you're here." He looks past me, eyes narrowing. "And you brought... Him."

"Oi. 'at's not very nice." Oh, so now you're gonna talk?

Miguel ignores him entirely, eyes sliding back to my face. "Any updates?"

~

"And now I'm here, asking for some help. Which I really hate doing, by the way." I sit cross-legged on a plush desk chair, across from Miguel, Hobie on my left. After recounting the conversation between Maleena and I, Miguel scratches at his chin, expression utterly unreadable.

Hobie's hand had traveled to my thigh sometime during the story, gently tracing circles in an attempt to comfort me.

"Fuckin' 'ell, that's bad, love." He sighs, hand halting.

I refuse to look at him. Refuse to let him see the pain pulsating at the back of my eyes, begging to be let out.

"You will need to be placed with someone for a while; though you cannot remain in the one dimension for too long. You have a spot here at HQ, but its better if that were to be last resort, as we are unable to gauge how long you will be out of your universe for, and my dimension is the best possible place to go if things go... Downhill." Miguel finally says, face still an unintelligible mask.

I try my hardest not to think about the things that could possibly go wrong with such a risky plan.

"She can bunk with me."

"For shock's sake, anyone but you." Miguel snorts, face now contorted in utter distaste.

"Fam, ain't I the one that gets to choose where I'm going? Ya know, since its about ME?" I huff a laugh, surprised by Miguel's sudden revulsion towards Hobie. "Besides, I've already been to Hobie's, and he got me stuff to keep at his house, so its kinda perfect timing."

"Did you, now?" He quirks his brow in Hobie's direction, making an 'oh really?' face.

Hobie simply stares back, stone faced.

"Is there a memo I didn't get, or?"

"So can l/n stay wit' me, or what?" Hobie rises to his feet, arms crossed over his chest, waiting for an answer.

"Fine. But remember, it can't be forever. I will let you know when the universe picks you up as an anomaly, which will most likely be in 3 days, maximum. Then you must stay elsewhere."

"OK. And thank you. For... All this." I gesture towards myself, before stretching to my full height beside Hobie.

"I- Of course." He responds, throat tight with something I can't recognise.

I feel a warm hand on my shoulder. "Let's go, eh?"

My stomach lurches at the thought of going through that nightmare of a portal. "By the way, Miguel, that attachment worked the first time, but definitely not the second."

"We need to get to the bottom of your weird reaction to it. Maybe its something to do with the experimenting on your mother passed down to you..." His voice is now clear of any prior tightness. Miguel turns his back to us, deep in thought, most likely mulling over a million obscure theories.

Ew, I never even thought of that! What if I spurt ears and a tail randomly...

I shiver at the thought of being a genetic mutation.

Hobie quirks a brow at me, but doesn't question my reaction. Instead, he summons a gateway, ushering me through.

~

"Holy shit, what's wrong wit' ya eyes, sugar?"

~

A/N:

bro these chapter names just keep getting longer LOL

anyways

my sister gave finally convinced me to stop posting immediately after I write a chapter, so that I can save a few to publish when I'm not able to write that day

but i wanna know if what you guys think about it

should i keep doing what im doing (if yall are content with the fact that you may not get an update for a few days then get multiple on the one day) or do as my sister says and maybe post once/twice every week?
pls lmk or i will just decide 4 y'all and y'all will be mad 😈

should i keep doing what im doing (if yall are content with the fact that you may not get an update for a few days then get multiple on the one day) or do as my sister says and maybe post once/twice every week?pls lmk or i will just decide 4 y'all...