𝖢𝖧𝖠𝖯𝖳𝖤𝖱 𝖤𝖨𝖦𝖧𝖳𝖤𝖤𝖭: 𝖬𝖾𝗇 𝗂𝗇 𝖡𝗅𝖺𝖼𝗄

~

"Calm the fuck down, y/n, you're normally not a sensitive girl. What's wrong with you?" I curse my stupidity under my breath, still shoving my way through the people on the street.

Maybe I'm frightened that what Miguel said is true...

Despite my eyes watering, I don't let a singular tear slip. Don't cry over such dumb boy shit.

Soon enough, my eyes had dried, and I had reached the market. The scent of spices fills my nose, relaxing me instantly. Reminds me of Mal.

With my one free hand, I mange to retrieve the slip of paper from the pocket of my jeans.

'4x turnips

3x leeks

2x cabbages

2x bundles of asparagus

4x yams

as many nopales you can find

2x lotus roots

paprika and cumin'

The first four were easy, as I could find them all at the same stall. The next three, however, had me running all over the market, as they are rarer.

"How much for four yams?"

"$13.00"

"Bullshit," I grumble. "The highest I will go is eight."

"$10.00"

"Seven, then." I quip, hand on hip.

"Fine. $8.00"

"Perfect!" I add the yams to my bag, before handing him the cash.

Now I just need paprika and cumin, which I can get on the way out.

As a reward, I let myself browse a few stalls containing jewelry, hand woven bags and other material items. A set of rings catches my eye.

They are a matching pair; one a chunky band with a guitar shape cut out of it, the other a thin band with a guitar-shaped adornment.

God knows I can't resist.

I purchase the rings from the sweet older women working at the stall, and decide to give the chunky band to Hobie as a peace offering.

I know I'm not in the wrong, but I want him to know that I don't want this to be the end of us.

As I approach the herb and spices stall that borders the market, I spot a group of men wearing dark clothes and sunglasses. OK men in black...

While conversing with the stall owner, I keep one eye on the group at all times. They stay in a loose pack formation, and seem to be looking for something. Or someone.

"Honey? Did you catch that?"

I snap my gaze back to the woman, her brows crinkling in concern.

"Oh, sorry. No, I didn't. Just a bit distracted." I smile politely.

She looks past me to where I was staring just before. "Is it that pack of men there?"

"Yes, actually. Don't they look a bit... Out of place?" I whisper.

"They did at first, but I've stopped noticing them now. I started seeing them here about a week and a half ago."

"Have they ever actually bought anything?"

"Not that I've seen. They stay here for about half an hour before grumbling into their walkie talkies and leaving." Her gaze comes back to my face. "Anyways, I asked if you wanted a few free samples. We have this new range of rarer spices, and I'm trying to promote them."

"Oh! That would be lovely, thank you." Tucking the purchased spices into my bag, I decide it would be best to high tail it the hell out of here. I feel so unsettled by them.

Reaching the edge of the crowd, I let out a breath I didn't realise I was holding.

After crossing the street, something makes me turn back to look.

My breath catches.

A bald man that looks weirdly like Mr. Worldwide stands at the edge of the bustling market, gaze set firmly on me. Slowly, he brings the walkie talkie to his lips.

"Found her."

~

A/N:

heheheehehehehehheeeeehehehehehhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ur welcome

also shoutout to the lorax for lifting my ban from entering the forest 🗣️🗣️🗣️🗣️🗣️