9. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Two

Start from the beginning

"Do not fear, she has left us to work alone," Henry could only assume he spoke of his widowed wife.

"What do you want, Professor?" Gerald did not move from his spot. He appeared to be leaning against his desk, like a man would do if he had a bottom and legs, but Lord Donovan's figure was not to be seen below his midriff.

"I suppose I'm here to find out what it is you want, sir."

"Very well, Professor. I'm looking for my rifle. There are pests in these walls and my wife has charged me with ridding of them. All while inviting all these people for her silly dinner parties. Blast it."

Henry sensed his confusion, another entity not aware of his own demise, a common misunderstanding and an easy fix, "May I call you, Gerald?"

"You may, Henry."

"If you have heard your wife speak of pests, I'm afraid to say it is not of you she has charged to dispose of them."

Gerald grimaced, "What are you saying, Professor? Speak man."

"Lady Marie has employed me to dispose of unwanted guests. A guest in particular that haunts many of these rooms, this study is of great interest."

"Are you calling me a pest, young sir?" Gerald raised his voice.

Henry stepped back towards the door, "Not at all, m'lord." He slyly flipped a switch on the base of his rod causing it to spark and light up, but the spirit of Gerald did not seem to notice.

"Since you're here, Professor, you can be of service to myself and my wife."

"Oh, how so?"

"My wife has been complaining of some strange liquid lately, like slime," Gerald began pacing, well floating, back and forth. "I need you to find out where it is coming from, Professor."

Henry had a flash of memory of Polly complaining about slime and he thought about the patches of ooze he saw in the factory, "It is ectoplasm, sir. I will clean it up."

"Confounded nonsense indeed," Gerald replied. He stood with his back to Henry.

Henry raised his staff and made to swing for Gerald, "Sorry, old man," he whispered gently as he neared. However, he suddenly froze as he saw another image of a transparent man stood at the window. Two more near invisible men passed through the closed door but retreated just as quick when they saw Henry and his weapon. He caught a glimpse of them as they disappeared back through the door, Interesting, they number many.

Henry lowered his rod again. He was somewhat puzzled by the sudden activity and at how Gerald seemed to be unaware of it. It took him a minute to realise why Lady Donovan was having so much trouble with 'pests.' She was not haunted by her husband. Her manor was a hotspot for paranormal activity, spirits were being pulled to this location by an unknown source.

Recently, he had often wondered why spiritual occurrences were happening more frequently. There was something here that was the key to it all.

"Are you quite alright, young man?" Gerald asked after seeing the scientist frozen for so long.

"Yes, sir," Henry turned to face the door and immediately looked over his shoulder. "Stay here, M'lord. I'll catch those pests."

"I'll take care of things here, I must find my pipe," Gerald said in response but mainly to himself, paying Henry no mind.

Henry nodded and left the room, walking down the hall with purpose. A ghost appeared out from a wall near him and cackled in an attempt to scare the scientist. Henry immediately switched on his rod and struck the spirit with a quick, unseen movement. The ghoul shrieked and evaporated into nothing. "You can tell me your story when I get to the forever beyond," he said to the air.