Chapter 21: The Siege of the North

The tolling of the war bell disrupted the peaceful dawn of the third morning, and the Imperial Air Force flew into a frenzy. While Azrael tightened his bracers, Selena's hands trembled as she donned her official armor, and she strapped Dragonheart and her shield over her back. She grabbed a pack with provisions, such as her spyglass, compass, map, her Force issued revolver, a water-filled canteen, and flares in case of emergency.

As soon as the two were ready, she and Azrael raced through the fort with the other battle-ready soldiers. By the time they reached the dragons, Aracania had her groups already in formation and ready for flight. Doragon and Thor—in harness with strapped supplies including ammo, extra flares, two spare canteens filled with water, beef jerky with hardtack, and blankets—chirped and chittered upon seeing their riders.

Though the ground crew had already secured his saddle, snug against Thor's warm belly, Selena anxiously fiddled with the straps until he groaned. I'm fine. Stop fussing over me.

I'm sorry. I just want to make sure.

You're trembling. We'll be fine.

What if we can't stop the Lich from getting Ragnarok? At this rate, we won't have time to find it before he does.

We're two Divinity Dragons, and we will rain fire upon our enemies. The Lich should be afraid of us.

Thor extended his paw and hoisted Selena over his back. After she belted herself to the seat and tightened her carabiners, Thor unfurled his wings and quickly shook the harness, and Selena confirmed the straps held. The other dragons in all three groups did the same; the excited Aster, who upheld the rear left flank of Aracania's formation, nearly bucked Mr. Kingsleigh off the saddle before being adequately strapped down. "By the Divines, you act like this is your first battle." Aster looked down shamefully, and Mr. Kingsleigh withdrew his comment and stroked his neck.

Colonel Cyres and his companion, Onyxria, a female heavyweight Onyxian Steelbelly, took the lead in the second formation beside Aracania's. Vulcan seized charge of the right flank behind Onyxria, and Selena waved and saluted to Gromm and Beck. The Steelmane brothers acknowledged her gestures and returned to their preparations with Beck cleaning his revolver and Gromm ensuring enough ammo.

However, much to Selena's dismay, Silver wasn't amidst the pell-mell crowd as neither dragon nor human, though Colonel Cyres wasn't concerned. Instead, the third group was led by an Imperial Pearlscale, its strikingly white hide as smooth as a snake's skin. Two long tendrils the length of its neck flowed in the breeze. Donned around its neck was a solid gold torque set with sapphires; the deep color magnified the hue of its sea-green eyes that pierced Selena's emeralds.

Its frill decorating its jawline flared and trembled, and Thor snarled upon seeing the dragon. That's Jade.

I assumed, though I was hoping to be wrong.

Jade hissed and unfolded his massive wings but didn't step out of place. Thor responded with a warning growl, but Aracania snapped at the two, ending their quarrel. He blames us for Ashur's suspension and disappearance, Thor said, I don't understand how they can still allow Jade to serve when his rider committed treason.

As much as Jade is like Ashur, he shouldn't be condemned for his handler's sins. However, I figured Jade would have been suspended, too.

He was for a while, but Aracania recently cleared his return. Thor still snarled in between his tail flickers but turned away when Selena begged him to leave Jade be; he instead focused on comparing his golden chain to Jade's jewelry set, but Selena reassured him his treasures were worth far more.