Chapter 12: The Initiation

Quivering, Selena feared she had disrespected Her Imperial Majesty; every uncomfortable second grew more unbearable than the last. "No, please forgive me, Your Imperial Highness. I had no idea."

"No, the fault is mine and Vidar's. He and Captain Bel failed to show the proper etiquette, let alone the introductions."

When Selena relayed the information to Thor, he was as appalled as she was; he expressed his desire to meet the Empress when the time would allow it formally. When Her Imperial Majesty gave her permission to stand, Selena nearly tripped over her feet, but she collected her bearings. "I'm surprised at the Council's utmost disrespect. Standing before someone of your stature will make anyone tremble in fear, and I pray I haven't insulted you, Your Imperial Majesty."

The Empress gave her a small, sad smile but completely disregarded her statement. "Liongod, you could never disrespect me. Rather, I can't tell you how happy I am to know that you and Thor made it here safely."

"We had some assistance, Your Imperial Majesty."

"Yes, I know. I ensured yours and Thor's safety without detection."

"Your Majesty, may I ask how is it that you know so much about us? Why risk so much on our behalf?"

"Of course, you may ask. However, I cannot answer that now. I fear our conversation isn't private, so please exercise extreme caution in the future." When she saw Selena's unsatisfied expression, the Empress reached into her cloak and pulled out a sealed rolled-up piece of parchment with an official wax stamp. "Do not open this until you are alone. It's for your eyes only." Selena bit her bottom lip; reluctant at first, she accepted the scroll and hid it under her shirt, treating the exchange as if it were clandestine. "Please, do as you're told for now unless I tell you otherwise. You and Thor must lay low, but you two should be fine." She gracefully strode past, head held high, and pointed at an awaiting carriage across the street. "That will take you to where you need to go. Until we speak again, my dear child."

Selena bent the knee to Her Imperial Majesty once more; pleased with their meeting, the Empress marched back to Rune Citadel.

As the blood-red sky loomed over the city, the dwarf-driven carriage drew closer to her destination down a quiet alley within the Garden District: Norrington Hall. Its many windows glowed from the fading sun; in awe, Selena saw numerous houses and manors throughout her trip, stretching far and wide across the open grassy fields within the wealthy territory. She could see the drawing room was brightly lit, and candlelight dimmed from the many bedroom windows: whoever lived here anticipated and expected her arrival.

After sending the coachman away upon drop off, Selena dusted off her clothes and approached Norrington Hall with heavy strides. Yet, before she had the chance to send a footman to alert her arrival, the front door swung open, and her heart sank to her stomach. Captain Ashur Bel's piercing bloody gaze nearly struck her down as he beckoned her inside.

Selena was given the grand tour of the august Norrington Hall, so named after Captain Bel's late father. As an only child, he inherited the estate once he became of age, shortly after Lord Norrington's untimely passing. "My manor is used in service for the Council. Her Imperial Majesty intended that you rest here shortly before reporting to the barracks," Captain Bel sternly scowled. "Quite unprecedented, but Vidar and General Araneus allowed it in your unique case." As he sized her with his eyes, he huffed. "I expect you have no skills."

Offended, Selena kept her tongue in check. "I will have the pleasure of proving you wrong."

"We shall see, and never forget to address me as either 'Sir,' or 'Captain.' Is that clear?" When Selena growled, Captain Bel's heated voice grew intense, "Mr. Liongod?"