Chapter 18: The Shadow Emperor

The Oracles returned inside, and Selena made the brisk walk back towards the street, now with a clear set purpose; however, before she could call for a carriage, Niamh marched towards her with Rahim chasing her heels.

"I told you he would be here," Niamh sternly announced, but Rahim's face turned bright red when he reached up and grabbed her arm. "Let go of me."

Rahim quickly pulled away. "No, please, leave him alone." Selena's eyes continued darting between the two, at a loss, but Rahim waved her down and mouthed the words, "Leave."

When Selena failed to heed his warning, Niamh pried her arm away; Selena immediately stepped back as if she were about to run. "I heard about the funeral, and I'm so sorry. When I knew you were there for the service, I went to see you, but I saw you storm away."

"Niamh, stop," Rahim began, but she silenced him.

Face gleaming red, Niamh continued, "I wanted to ask you something, Liongod."

"Ask me what?"

"I know it would be hard for you since you're in the Force and... I-I know your sole duty is to protect the Empire."

Rahim inched closer, waving his hands in huge wiping motions, telling her to say no, but Selena said, "I don't understand." Niamh looked as though she wanted to scream. Instead, she wrapped her arms around Selena's neck and kissed her cheek when Selena moved her lips away. Rahim tripped over his feet, and an awful noise escaped his mouth; Selena didn't know what to do but immediately pushed away. "What are you doing?"

Niamh suddenly realized her mistake and apologized for her impulsive behavior, collapsing into Selena's arms. "I-I'm so sorry. I like you, Andric, and I-I was hoping that maybe...." She couldn't find the strength to finish.

Selena was at a loss for words. However, she blushed and helped Niamh to her feet. "I do like you, but as a friend. I don't want to lie to you," she paused when her thoughts immediately drifted towards Silver, "but I've taken to someone else. That doesn't mean we can't be friends." She flashed a small smile.

Niamh's eyes widened as more tears trickled down her face, but she wiped them away and nodded. "I'm sorry for that. Of course, I would like to be friends." She gave Selena one last hug before running back the way she and Rahim came.

After collecting himself from the initial shock, Rahim shuffled his feet, placing a hand on Selena's shoulder to help him stand upright. "You know, if Niamh knew who you were, then—"

Selena glared at him. "Then what? She can't help it. Would you still be against it if she liked me knowing I was a girl?"

"Not at all. It's just...." Rahim lost his voice as he looked back at her fading figure turning a corner. "I like her."

She instantly recoiled and withdrew her harsh words, but the moment Rahim confessed his affections, Selena's face began burning when her mind raced to Silver. She hadn't realized her growing fondness until Rahim noticed her blazing expression, and all she could say was, "I know the feeling."

"What do you mean?"

"I'll tell you later." Ignoring him, and instead of a carriage, Thor offered a flight. His shadow zipped over the two within moments, and Thor scooped them from the street with a single paw before soaring back to the Dragon District. He glowed and chittered in delight when Rahim praised his mighty size, as he hadn't seen Thor since they arrived in the city, and added an "at this rate, Thor will be the size of a mountain."

As the two looked down at Alfheim from Thor's clawed cage, Selena finally said, "What I said to Niamh was true—I've also taken to someone."

Thor snorted upon hearing her news, and his head curled back in shock like a snake about to strike. Rahim's eyes widened as he began asking who it was, but his lips sealed shut when he realized it was Silver. "That's madness; he's your superior."