Chapter 19: The Battle for Alfheim

The following few days flew by since confronting her father for answers, but Selena hadn't seen him since; she understood he had to maintain his guise, just like she had to with hers.

As much as Selena welcomed the sweet solace, she worried Phantom Dust had taken it too far with Azrael. When her bunker buddy had finally returned, he barely acknowledged her existence. Instead, he crawled into bed and slept throughout their weekend.

Yet, Selena was anxiously looking forward to the promised training with Thor. As her ninth and final week of basic training was nearly complete, everyone from her unit was fitted for custom armor orders by the dwarf blacksmiths, and they would complete their pieces by their last day on the fifteenth of Xol. Meanwhile, she and her fellow brothers built upon their previously learned skills, learning how to cooperate as a team. During field training and their fifteen-kilometer march back to post, Selena remembered Erik and Alexander, wishing the two could join their well-earned victory.

Selena had mentioned the dragon bone and steel ingot to Silver after meeting him in his office after training, explaining that she wanted to make a sword; he happily exclaimed, "You will have a fine weapon yet." However, she was hesitant in sharing her discovery regarding Ragnarok; when she did, Silver's face turned paler than usual, and his head zipped back and forth to ensure no one eavesdropped. "The Oracles told you this?"

"Yes. Why?"

"They usually don't answer questions from anyone outside the Council. Hmm." He placed a hand to his chin as he fell deep in thought. "If what you say is true, you can't tell anyone else about it."

"Other than Rahim and Thor, you're the only one I've told. I had hoped to use it against the Lich—"

Silver's voice suddenly turned cold and stern, like his ghostly expression. "Absolutely not. You could get yourself killed. Leave Ragnarok alone or risk your imminent demise: only a Divine can handle that sword." He pointed to the glossy ingot Selena showed him. "Don't worry. We will forge you a suitable weapon that the Lich himself will fear."

When she first shared the news with Thor, he only snorted. Where did your father get the bones?

Err, he didn't say, but he never struck me as a dragon killer. When Thor still wasn't wholly persuaded, she added, I don't think he would have killed a dragon without a good reason, or perhaps they're from an already dead dragon.

Enough. If it's truly better than steel, I pray this will be the finest sword ever crafted.

Upon their final day, Silver presented each cadet with their new armor: dragon head-shaped helmet with scale-plated chest pieces and greaves. After meeting their new dragon partners tomorrow, he announced that the blacksmiths would work with the graduated soldiers to forge their desired weapon and pick a combat specialty. Silver then dismissed the new soldiers to spend the remainder of the day with their families. Instead of taking the much-needed break, Selena asked to begin some exercises with Thor later before forging herself a new weapon.

After briefly meeting with Rahim, Niamh, and Maria for morning tea and breakfast at Dragonstone, Thor, magnificently blazing the large ruby from his newly fitted harness, made his graceful descent. He readjusted his golden chain set with the smaller string of matching sparkling rubies before plucking Selena off the ground and placing her on the saddle seat. During their short flight to the training courtyard, Selena quickly changed into her steel and unicorn horn armor as Thor landed, lightweight metal forged to withstand the heaviest blows: one revolver and a pistol belted to her waist, and her new round shield strapped over her back.

Aracania was busy commanding several groups before and after taking flight; they practiced different aerial maneuvers and formations once airborne. Trainers down below used magic, creating large hoops set around at different angles in an obstacle course to fly through. If any dragon made a mistake and missed, they would have to try again.