Chapter 17: The Well of Souls

Thor returned from his evening hunt after Silver disappeared over the horizon, and during their brief flight back to the Dragon District, Selena regaled him with all she had learned. However, when she gave the news regarding Azrael's and Doragon's secret alliance, Thor shared her resentment. It doesn't matter if they're supposedly allies. I will strike them down if they continue tormenting us.

Silver trusts them, but I don't know if I ever will.

You don't have to trust them. Thor landed within the vast courtyard and scooped Selena from his harness. If what you say about Silver being a dragon is true, that would be interesting. I've never heard of a human transforming into a dragon.

We've read about shapeshifters before—even Loki has a similar ability. I wouldn't be surprised if Silver were one, too.

Maybe. Thor snaked his head down and sniffed the journal and scroll. I will be anxiously listening.

Selena dashed towards the main hall when Thor launched himself upward, returning to his quarters. After racing into her apartment, she paused when noticing Erik scribbling on a parchment with a quill. Selena called his name, but he ignored her as he kept writing. She set Silver's gifts aside on her desk and offered to play a game with him. "I know it's been rough, and perhaps it can help pass the time." Erik paused to contemplate her offer but shook his head and resumed. "Is there anything I can do? Will you be all right?"

He finally spun his head around and met her gaze with a small smile Selena had never seen from him before. "I'll be fine." Slightly taken back, Selena returned his smile and gave him a thumbs-up; he gave her the same gesture and continued his task.

After ensuring his wellbeing, she lit up a lantern and dove into her blankets with the ancient and delicate scroll opened first. Thor confirmed he was tucked in for the evening, and Selena began reading about how technologically advanced the dwarves were compared to the other races, abandoning the ways of magic to build alien machinery.

Throughout history, scholars and explorers discovered strange metallic artificial devices combined with magic stones for uses unknown in deserted ruins and mines scattered across Armageddon. Originally built during the elves' enslavement, the dwarves sealed the entrances with large, metal doors before abandoning them entirely, concealing whatever creations they had inside from ever being discovered. The recent discovery made by Gundisalvus unearthed new dwarven technology near Alfheim: a device that collected starlight to predict future events. However, the dwarves transcribed the readings in the Elven Language, a tongue forgotten save for the few who studied dead languages.

How fascinating. I would love to see one.

That ruin we walked past on our way to the city was probably the one discovered by Gundisalvus.

Selena finished the scroll and opened the journal over her lap. Scribbled on the inside cover was 'Genesis,' and the journal contained notations on magic and alchemy principles much more advanced than she had ever read. She understood some of it, but most of the content read like a formula with written side notes. It sounds like mixing magic with human life.

The taboo magic involving human experimentation was illegal and punishable by death. The next page read of foxes, demons, and other creatures that could trace magical essences from leagues away, while others gave off auras that attracted demonic and undead forces.

What do you suppose that means?

I don't know but keep reading.

Upon continuing, Selena eventually found a piece of parchment creased neatly within the book. She unfolded it and read telepathically to Thor: "Normally, a life lost can never be brought back again. I've watched countless others—colleagues and scholars alike—try and fail, and no one has ever successfully brought back the dead, but I believe I'm about to make history."