Chapter 15: Bitter Work

Start from the beginning

While General Araneus and Aracania dealt with Ashur and Jade, Silver had permission to dismiss them early. As if to celebrate their well-earned victory, Selena and Erik made their way towards the on-site recreational center near the dining hall: a large smoking lounge with a few old and torn couches and three large wooden tables with decks of cards and board games available. The two passed by a heated chess game surrounded by a betting audience.

Yet, the others were busy fiddling over newspapers, whispering, "The rumors are true," and, "The Lich is organizing an attack against Alfheim."

"When do you think the battle will happen?"

"I dunno, but it looks like soon—weeks, maybe."

Selena had invited Erik over an empty table to play cards, and he muttered: "I don't have anything else better to do."

Not allowing his gloom to dampen her spirits, Selena attempted to make small talk while fighting past his cynicism. "What game do you want to play?"

He only shrugged as she shuffled the cards, but Selena's heart stopped when she saw Azrael strut by, head up high. He waltzed through after his month-long disappearance, oblivious to the severity of his crimes against Her Imperial Majesty and the Air Force for avoiding training.

She nearly slammed the cards down until Erik asked her, "What are you playing at?"

"What do you mean?"

"You come out of nowhere with a dragon already before joining the Force. You're gifted with magic, but you can't ever keep up with the rest of us when it comes to physical work. Are you purposefully not even trying?"

"That's not true, and you know it."

"I must keep watching you—always running back to help because that's what I'm supposed to do. Captain Altessa never yells at you, but he wants me to be your keeper. Why even be here? Why don't you go back home?" His burning words left her in cinders, and a tear trickled down her cheek. She wiped it away before Erik saw it, but he already realized his mistake and immediately apologized. "I shouldn't have said that."

"No, you're right, but I can't go back home. I have to stay for Thor; otherwise, the Council will take him away forever. I must do this for him."

"If you cared that much about your dragon, you would try harder." Erik looked as though he wanted to say more, but he held his tongue. Instead, he turned away.

"I'm already doing my best—"

"No, you're not. You're down on yourself. If you want to protect him, you need to work harder and push yourself more. You're playing the Council's game now, and we're just pawns. If you lose, it's game over for you."

Selena knew he was right; his words hit harder than being run over by a locomotive. The two made silent, mutual amends for past hostilities, but before they could begin their game, one of the bulkier recruits sitting on a shredded couch nearby, Volt White, shouted her name. "It's Liongod. What brings you in here?" She ignored his taunts as Volt's face turned red, and his nostrils flared; even Azrael's head whipped past the gathering crowd, and he scowled. When she didn't respond, Volt got riled up more than usual. "Do you think you're too good to answer me?"

Please, walk away, she thought.

He jumped up from the couch and, before Selena could prepare, lunged for her, grabbed the hem of her shirt and yanked her up in the air. The others surrounded Volt as his ogling audience, but Erik looked shamefully down at his hands. "You think you're too good for us with your magic tricks? I bet I could break those scrawny bones of yours."

Selena swallowed hard. "I would rather know magic than be an empty-headed muscled neanderthal."

His face was now the same color as a tomato; he surprisingly released her shirt until pushing her back. "Looks like Volt will have to teach you a lesson."