Chapter 43: The Hot Wind, Part Two

Začít od začátku

Yin wanted to throw Vao as far as he could. And he knew better than to punch him; to everyone else, it would look like the healer was punching a woman. With a hue of red on his cheeks, he spun around and stomped away, Jasper following after him. Vao snickered confidently.

"Yeah, that's right. I win. Bitch."

Yin walked down the beach, Jasper sitting on his bare shoulder. "Just ignore that loon," she muttered. "He was just messing with you."

"I know, and I hate that it worked," Yin growled. He spun around and started walking back to the others. He really didn't have anything better to do. He tried to ignore Vao as they set down their towels, Tai and Chuck moving cautiously towards the water. Salem and the girls were lying down, with Pip and Violet wrestling in the sand. Pip didn't have arms, and it was costing him a victory. That, and Violet had Vao's strength. There was no winning even if he had arms. Yin didn't bring a towel, sitting down in the sand next to Salem. The princess was reading the back of a bottle, squinting her eyes in the bright sun. Yin looked over her shoulder curiously. "Whatcha got there?"

"Sunscreen," Salem replied. "It's made differently than Remnant."

Yin blinked, furrowing his brow. "Sun... Screen...?"

Salem forgot that Yin wouldn't have any idea what that was. He only remembered the other Timelines, not Remnant itself. "It's to protect you from sunburns," she explained.

"Oh."

Now you'd think that Salem would have Yin apply it to her back. No. She had Pyrrha do it. This isn't that kind of story or chapter. Yin ran a hand through his hair, sighing tiredly. It was too hot. He was already sweating. Standing up with Jasper still clinging to his shoulder, he looked around before he spotted Vao's back. The dullahan had his head tucked under his arm, the jarring sight of his headless body walking around sending a shiver down his spine. He didn't know where Vao was going, nor did he really care very much. Yin sighed, continuing to look around.

Chuck and Tai were practically dancing in the ocean, still getting used to the warm, tropical waters. Ozpin wasn't far away, talking to a group of women.

"You go, old man," Yin mumbled under his breath. He glanced back at Pip and Violet. The eight-year-old had her brother pinned, pumping her fists victoriously. Pip's wings beat against the ground helplessly, trying to free himself from his freakishly strong little sister. And of course behind him, the rest were sunbathing. Except Alice. She sat further away from everyone else, picking at the sand. Jasper pressed her hand against his cheek, catching his attention.

"Sh... Should we talk to her?" The fairy asked quietly. Yin nodded.

"... That's the plan."

The healer approached, waving his hand in front of her face. Alice looked up at him dazedly, like she was barely even there. It was worrying.

"Hey," Yin said softly. "Everything alright?"

Alice looked back down at the sand, her fingers sinking in. "... I'm fine."

Yin sighed, looking around the beach. He vaguely remembered an ice cream shack. He could see the old wooden structure, and momentarily wondered if that peaceable giant still ran it. He nudged Alice with his foot, jerking his head. "C'mon. Let's go."

Alice quietly stood up, looking at the blonde with a slight furrow to her brow. "... W-where are we g-going...?"

"To get some ice cream. It'll cheer you right up."

"U-um... What is... 'Ice cream'?"

Yin didn't say anything, guiding the eighteen-year-old down the shore. He couldn't blame her for not knowing what ice cream was. It was only available in the Secret City; it didn't exist on the other side of the Sea of Sand. As he approached the wooden hut, he could see the giant, bearded face staring out at him.