A Moonlit Picnic

Credits to: strawberry_fieldz

Wednesday eventually realized she did not have a way with words.

A few months into her and Enid's relationship had made it so she'd changed in the slightest of ways. She was more open to hugs with Enid and was more adverse to throwing them both into the heat of danger without a second thought. Still, she wasn't so good at communicating with Enid, even if the other girl was. Enid was constantly showering Wednesday with affection, whether she liked it or not (she did), and finding new ways to compliment her. One day it was her "eyes were darker than the blackest coals" and the next it was "how lucky" she was to be with "the coldest soul ever to curse Nevermore"--always leaving Wednesday flattered and with a bit more color on her face than she was used to.

Of course, Wednesday was not as verbally appreciative of her girlfriend, but this was never made more evident than the time she and Enid were sprawled across her bed, listening to a strange mix of cheesy pop tunes and gothic-punk music on a playlist the two had curated together, as Enid painted Wednesday's nails. She only agreed to it under the condition Enid painted her nails black and Enid was more than happy to oblige. There was some love song playing, something Wednesday would never have listened to if it were not for Enid when Enid's breath hitched and she smeared nail polish in a streak across Wednesday's finger.

Wednesday raised a brow, quizzically. "Did you mean to do that?"

"No, sorry," Enid said with a nervous chuckle. She moved to clean the mess and shook her head. "I'm sorry, I was just thinking about something."

"Oh?" Wednesday watched as the smear of polish was erased and Enid not-so casually went back to painting that finger's nail. She was still fidgeting. "Don't hurt yourself."

"Har-har," Enid mimicked a laugh.

One of the corners of Wednesday's mouth twitched into a half-smile.

"No, it's just..." Enid ducked her head more, refusing to look at Wednesday and hiding her face from the other girl's vision. She sighed. "...I think I love you, Wednesday. I really, really do."

Wednesday blinked. The air stilled and was silent between them as Enid refused to move from her bowed position and meet her girlfriend's eyes. Not until Wednesday spoke, that was, in which Enid's head snapped up with surprise.

"Oh. Is that all?"

" Is that all ?!" Enid repeated and laughed nervously again. "Wednesday, I just confessed my love for you."

"Yes," Wednesday said, stoic as ever. "I can hear just fine."

"Oh." Hesitant, Enid resumed painting her nails as a more somber tune in cello started (definitely one of Wednesday's picks). "Okay. Cool."

Wednesday thought that was all but she couldn't help but notice the sad glances Enid was making to the side and the small, depressed sighs that kept escaping her lips. She thought it best to leave it alone. If Enid had a problem she would no doubt tell her, she was always so talkative. The rest of the night fell back into routine as Enid finished Wednesday's nails and helped revise the first draft of her novel. She didn't bring up why she was acting so distant and Wednesday didn't ask.

The next morning, when Enid was still acting on edge, Wednesday realized something was wrong. She knew it had something to do with their conversation from last night, though she didn't know what. Had she said something wrong to her? No. More often than not, the problem was the things Wednesday didn't say and after mulling it over all day through classes (in which Enid remained quiet and only spoke to Wednesday to ask questions about the lecture), she decided to do something about it.