A Fine Day To Fight

When the command to advance came, Bear hadn't yet reached the first rank. He was still pushing past smaller animals to get there.

Progress was slow; everyone kept bumping into everyone else. Bear moved along, still worried if the injury he'd sustained stumbling in the Forest had healed.

All those days ago.

It was a sunny day, but a few clouds scudded across the sky. A breeze blew from their left across the field, not strong enough to deter them. Unlike the fierce winds on the days he'd spent crawling through those dreadful marshes.

It was quiet. All chatter had stopped. He could hear the wingbeats of birds as they flew overhead, and the occasional seagull's call.

It's a fine day to be out, he thought. A fine day to...

They were off.

He felt himself tipping forward, almost breaking into a run. With relief, he realised his knee was pain free. He felt the warmth of bodies near him, heard rapid breaths, and snorts from a nearby horse. The smell of skin and sweat, and fur. Behind him a dog started barking. The clamour grew.

He kept pushing, past glistening hides and swaying flanks. Trying to keep ahead of the swell. He had been told to get to the first rank, behind the Riders.

It wasn't easy.

Striding faster, he finally made it, and for the first time saw the problem that faced them. In the far distance a chanting wave of darkness was moving down the slopes of the city toward them. 

The figures he had seen earlier, but swollen to a huge crowd. The sound reached him first, a rising crescendo of intent. Rolling toward them like thunder after a strike of cold lightning.

The metal of polished swords and makeshift weapons glinted in the sun.

The Riders were ahead, Bear could see them now, leading the way across the plain. The ground shook beneath Bear's paws as the animals lurched after them.

Gobs of saliva flew up from the open mouths of creatures strained by exertion.

The pace picked up. Animals that hadn't run for years, ran now. Hearts raced, heads lolled, paws and hooves pounded the grass.

The army of animals slammed straight into the army of men.

Bear was behind the Riders now. Bodies parted, and he was face to face with a snarling, wide-eyed man, brandishing a wooden club. Bear avoided the first blow, but felt a second crack on his arm. But it was feeble, and he clubbed the man on the jaw, sending him down without a whimper. Stepping over his body, a younger man, with fear in his eyes, came at him. Bear swept him aside and the youth careered into the flank of a horse. His head lolled as it hit the horse and he was down too, trampled on by myriad hooves and paws.

Bear didn't dwell on that horror, intent on preserving his own life and those of his fellow creatures. Again and again he clubbed at bodies and clawed at faces, drawing blood on some. He swept them aside as he pressed further into the throng. The noise was deafening: shouts and roars mingled with barks and anguished cries. The smell of sweat and endeavour washed around.

Spaces opened up where Riders held sway, their horses whipping around so men didn't dare approach. Mighty boars and antlered deer charged among them. Citizens swung their makeshift weapons, but couldn't get close enough to cause damage. Bear saw smaller creatures appearing now, their bites adding to the blows of bigger animals. Cats squealed as they attached themselves to legs and arms, clawing and snapping. Men dropped weapons as they drew blood. Rats, prairie dogs and ferrets weighed in as birds plunged from the air in strict rotation. They struck heads, hands and arms that were trying to defend themselves. Yet it was not all one-sided. From blows and sweeps of blade and club smaller animals lay injured and maimed. Bodies of both men and animals lay scattered around.