A Tall Tale

Martin got to Tom's hut in double-quick time. He gave the coded knock on the door and Tom slipped out to see him.

'Good to see you,' Tom said. 'Are you sure you weren't followed?'

Martin shook his head, getting his breath back. He told Tom what Beetle had said about the Brotherhood, and getting him a job at the Palace. 'When he left I knew he was out there in the dark waiting for me. I waited a while and slipped out of a window. Left the lamp burning.'

'I knew it,' Tom said. 'They've bribed, or threatened him, or both.'

'They?'

'Someone in authority. That's why I told you to be careful.'

'Don't worry, I was. I know what he's like.'

Tom patted him on the shoulder and opened the door. They slipped in. All eyes turned to look at them. Martin shook hands with the three new men and they introduced themselves. The blonde twins seemed friendly and jovial. The red-haired stranger had an air of authority about him. His handshake was firm.

'Good to meet you, Martin,' he said. 'We are grateful for what you have done for Tom. He does need help, especially as he's so tall!'

Tom, who was by now sitting on the bed next to Jod, laughed. The twins sat cross-legged on the floor by the door. The animals were laying in front of the stove. Gordon and Martin remained standing.

'What now?' Martin asked.

'Well, we've been talking about that,' Gordon said. 'For the moment we wait.'

'So you say,' Not-Bear offered from his place by the stove. 'But you must have a plan.'

'We will let the city settle,' said Gordon. 'Soon it will be asleep and we can go about our business.'

'Which is?' Not-Bear asked.

'You'll see soon enough,' Gordon said. He beckoned to Martin and they settled on the floor too. 'Bowen, some music please, while we wait.'

The twin went to the bag he had arrived with, and unwrapped something foreign to the eyes of Not-Bear and the others. It was the shape of a flattened bowl, and there was a length of wood across it. Strings ran the length of the instrument, attached at both ends. Bowen put it across his lap and plucked the strings with his fingers. He adjusted some pegs at the end of the flat board, and played again. Pleasing notes of subtle music floated out and around the room. Not-Bear was caught up in the sound. It was beautiful.

After a while Bowen began to sing. He told the story of a young girl, separated from her brother, of a family feud and the tragedy of him dying in battle. His twin sang along with him, but in a lower voice.

The song was gentle, the effect magical. It calmed everyone.

After the first song Bowen continued with a tune, and Raff tapped a rhythm on the floor with his boot to match. They bowed their heads as they played. The only light in the room was from the fire and the others were rocking side to side to the rhythm.

Jod had not heard music like it before. And Not-Bear certainly hadn't. It was a world away from the only instrumental music he knew—the pipes and whistles the Elders played. Or the crescendo of rhythms that had forced them to dance at the Occasion.

Not-Bear thought back to that wild evening. He had been impetuous, foolish even, to have challenged the badger and gone down to the Circle. He also regretted arguing about it afterwards with his dear friend Bear.

Bear, who was missing on the Outside. Had he found friends who could help him as Not-Bear had? Was he heading towards the City too, as Gordon suggested? Or had he given up the search and gone home?