Chapter: 25

"Big Brother....I...how are you?" Wei (Y/n) questioned, her voice breaking. It was sudden meeting her brother like this after years from the time they had separated.

"Māma? Who is this?" Lifen questioned quietly hiding behind her mother's legs and clutching onto her robes. Xiao Xingchen looked shocked at the little voice calling his little sister's mother while (Y/n) smiled a bit, trying to keep all tears at bay. Xingchen decided to wait before asking about the little girl and turned to (Y/n).

"It has been a while A-(Y/n)...I've been well. How about you?" Xingchen questioned in his soft tone, and it took all the restraint Wei (Y/n) had to not engulf him in a hug.

"I've been alright... Why don't we have some tea and talk then?" Wei (Y/n) asked and Xingchen nodded. Probably sensing that his sister was growing cautious of the people around them.

They walked to a nearby tea house and sat on the farthest table, where no one could hear them. They had a lot to catch up on. While they sat an awkward silence settled around them. Both of them contemplated what to say.

"Māma?" Lifen's tone broke the overly awkward silence and both the adults looked at her. "Yes A-Fen?" (Y/n) asked softly and Xingchen just sat there observing the exchange. "Who...who is this?" She asked sneaking a glance at Xiao Xingchen and Wei (Y/n) smiled before answering.

"This is your Uncle... Xiao Xingchen." Wei (Y/n) introduced, and Lifen's face lit up with recognition. "The one you told me about?!" She asked excitedly and (Y/n) chuckled nodding then she motioned her hand in Xiao Xingchen's direction. "Why don't you introduce yourself?" Wei (Y/n) asked and Lifen nodded.

Lifen stood up and saluted Xiao Xingchen "I'm Wei Lifen, Uncle." Xingchen smiled and reached out his hand to pat Lifen on her head lightly. "It is nice to meet you A-Fen." He spoke softly and then turned to (Y/n).

"Her surname is Wei? Is she not your biological daughter?" Xingchen questioned and (Y/n)'s ears turned red. She fanned herself and cleared her throat. "I took her under my wing almost a month ago." She answered and Xingchen nodded.

"Uncle?" Lifen called and he looked at her or more specifically he turned to her. "Yes?" He asked her and she fiddled with her fingers before looking up. "Why do you cover your eyes with a cloth?" She asked and Xingchen sighed while (Y/n)'s grip on her fan tightened, it was not that she didn't want to know it was because she was afraid to know. God knows what happened to him.

"I injured my eyes during a hunt." He answered shortly and Wei Lifen looked at him with wide eyes. Wei (Y/n) could tell that this was not entirely true but didn't say anything. "How?" She asked and (Y/n) snapped her head towards her daughter, immediately closing the hand fan.

"A-Fen! Did I not tell you before? Do not pry people on things they do not wish to speak!" She said angrily and Lifen looked shocked. This was the first time (Y/n) had raised her voice on her. Xingchen also looked shocked at her sudden change in attitude and spoke up "A-(Y/n) it is alright. She's a child don't be hard on her."

Wei (Y/n) sighed "You sound the same as Xichen...." She mumbled and looked at Wei Lifen "I'm sorry A-Fen. Why don't you sit over there and tell me if you want anything to eat." (Y/n) asked softly putting a hand on Lifen's shoulder before pointing at a table little away from where they sat, far enough so she couldn't hear what they talked about but close enough to stay in range for (Y/n) to look at her.

Lifen nodded and stood up, saluting both of them and left to go to the other table. Just then a man in his early twenties came to serve them tea. (Y/n) cast a look at Lifen and told the man something to take to her table. She still felt bad about talking to her daughter like that. When the man left she turned to face Xingchen.