P4 - Chapter Thirty-two

Comincia dall'inizio

"Why did you bring me here?" I asked quietly. He looked down at me for a moment before looking up at the snowing sky.

"Moon," he said, "why didn't you tell me about Secretkeeper?"

That stopped me. I looked down at my ice cream as snowflakes drifted onto the top of it. In all honesty, a part of me didn't know the answer to that question. Sure it was about how I didn't want everyone all over me, but it was also about me not wanting to believe Secretkeeper's state.

I quietly ate my ice cream, not knowing how to answer the question.

"You don't have to answer," Deathbringer said a moment after he realized I wasn't going to respond. "It's just... you told all of us she was fine."

"I wanted her to be," I said even quieter. "I wanted to believe she was doing great, actually. I just... it was harder than I thought. I... I don't know. I'm sorry." I paused before finally looking up at Deathbringer. "How come you didn't have a funeral for your mother?"

"She wouldn't have wanted it," Deathbringer replied calmly. "She never acted like a mother to me, but the love was there. I could tell." He leaned back against the tree. "It's weird, isn't it? Having someone you care so much about one minute and then losing them the next?"

I stared up at him, seeing the pain in his eyes and then the stubbornness to hold it back.

"Everybody dies," Deathbringer continued gently. "It's a part of life. It's just that sometimes... I wish it wasn't. I don't want to ever see Glory die, but I know she will."

"Is this supposed to make me feel better?" I asked, on the verge of tears.

Deathbringer sighed, his breath crystalizing in the air. "No. I just... humans tend to realize what they have when it's gone. That's the problem, and we know what that's like. We have to... treasure what we have." He pushed himself off the tree, turning to face me. "I know you're grieving, Moon, and it's hard and you feel like you just might cave in, but don't. You still have so much to live for."

The tears that trickled down my cheek were cold, but Deathbringer reached forward and wiped them away before draping an arm over my shoulders and pulling me into a tight hug.

Thank you.

"*"

The bell rang, indicating the end of class. In an instant, I was standing up and gathering my stuff in my arms, heading for my locker. I froze at the sight of my locker.

Flowers and sticky notes were taped all over my locker.

Sorry for your loss.

We hope you feel better!

We're here for you if you need us.

And a bunch of bullshit. I reached forward and ripped off every sticky note, crumpling it in my hand before letting it fall to the floor. I tore off the flowers out of anger and shoved them in Turtle's hands as he walked up from behind me.

"Oh--uh, thanks?" Turtle said in pure confusion.

"Who did this?" I angrily asked, waving at my locker that was now empty.

"Did... what?" Turtle asked, squinting at my locker. His gaze slowly drifted down until he saw all the sticky notes on the floor. "Oh. Pretty much the whole grade." I stared at him.

"Seriously?" I demanded, and he slowly nodded. "This is so stupid! I hate everyone!" I angrily opened my locker and took out my backpack, swinging it over my shoulder before slamming my locker shut. Turtle blinked at how mad I got.

"Are you okay?" Turtle slowly asked, glancing down at the flowers in his hands. "Are these for me?"

"Give them to Kinkajou if you want," I said dismissively, walking past him.

"Hey, Moon," Qibli called, catching up to me with Kinkajou. "Kink's coming over today. Do you... want to walk home with us or would you prefer to walk alone?"

I searched his face for a brief moment. "I'll walk with you guys." I held out my hand and Qibli took it in an instant. Kinkajou grinned as Turtle walked up to us.

"For you," Turtle said, handing Kinkajou the flowers.

"Aww!" Kinkajou cooed excitedly. "Thank you! They're so pretty!" I quietly chuckled as we walked out the doors of the school.

"Hey, where's Winter?" I asked, looking around.

"Who knows?" Qibli asked. "I've been trying to reach him all day. Either he's ignoring me on purpose, or his phone is dead."

"Considering the situation, it's probably option one," Turtle snorted. We walked all the way to Qibli's house, talking and laughing and talking. Well, I was a little distant, but I tried to be more present than usual.

Qibli reached forward to unlock the door to his house, but it swung open before he could even touch it.

A tall, sleek woman stood in the doorway. Her hair was pale blonde and frizzy. Her eyes were black and beady. Her lips curled up into a dangerous smile, which slightly frightened me.

Qibli's hand fell from mine and I turned to look at him, noticing the way he stared up at the woman in disbelief.

"Oh, no," Kinkajou breathed.

"Hello, Qibli," the woman said meekly. "How are you?"

"Mom?" Qibli whispered, and I gasped.

"I never liked it when you called me that," she said thoughtfully. "Anyway, I'm here to take you back, so hurry up."

Oh no is right, Kinkajou.

<3