Chapter 25 - Encounter

Beginne am Anfang

As the question swirled my mind, searching for a reason, I almost missed the odd look flash across her face.
At first I thought it was anger, or desperation.
But as she let it stay on her face, with her eyes staring into mine, I could see what it really was.
Sadness.

"What choice are you giving me? You'd rather turn on your family than tell the truth." she yelled, more emotion in her voice than I'd heard in a while.
I was taken aback as she called us family.
Because I was no longer allowed to say that.
They had kicked me out.
They had decided I wasn't good enough.
So she had no right to use that against me.
And that made me snap.

"Have you ever thought that this might be bigger than our issues? I don't trust you anymore, Sage. And I don't have the time to try and gain that back." I yelled, almost forgetting about the wand in front of me, leaning forward, spitting out the words.
Now it was her turn to be speechless.
I had always tried to be the calm one, to try and keep some peace while everyone else said whatever they wanted.
But to say that I had turned on them?
I just couldn't control myself.

We both glared at each other for a while, refusing to look away, as though it were a competition.
Sage still held the sadness in her eyes, her face twisting as she decided what her next step would be.
I hoped she would back down, that she would leave this alone.
Another part wanted to fight her right now in the forest.

Yet, before I could make any sort of decision, Sage let out a short chuckle, almost in amusement, her eyes becoming cold.
"Fine. Have it your way." she simply stated.
I prepared myself for some kind of blow, but it seemed she had other ideas.
Before I knew it, she had moved her wand away from me, and was now pointing it at someone behind me.
Poppy.
"If you won't talk, maybe one of your friends will."

She began to move her wand, preparing to cast some sort of spell.
But I didn't bother to wait and see which one, I just knew I had to save her.
Without another thought, I threw myself backwards, almost tripping over my feet and knocking Poppy over.
I shielded her with my body, putting my arms behind me to grab her, making sure she was securely behind me.
And once again, Sage's wand was pointing at me.

At the action, she ceased casting her spell, the amused look evident on her face once again.
"Don't you dare point that at anyone but me." I hissed through gritted teeth, gripping onto Poppy tightly, feeling her clutch my coat.
Sage began to walk closer, her eyes still cold, as though her emotions were completely gone.
"I wonder, after all this time, are you still pretending to be strong? I remember when we used to protect each other like that. But I think we both know you're just overcompensating, you squib." she seethed, lowering her face down slightly so she was at my level.

Normally, those words would have cut me deep.
Especially coming from her.
But after what she had just done, for some reason, it had finally made the anger subside.
And I knew what I had to do.

In a swift motion, I let go of Poppy, lunging forward and reaching out my arm.
With how close Sage was, there was no time for her to react, especially since she was so preoccupied.
I could see the tip of the locket peeking out from her coat, my fingertips reaching out almost in slow motion.
Time seemed to drag as I watched my hand draw closer to the locket, seeing as Sage desperately tried to move out of reach.
But it was too late.

I came into contract with the tip of the locket, ripping it from Sage's coat, grasping it in my hands.
However, before I could even begin to feel the victory of securing the locket, I was engulfed by a bright light.
And everything around me vanished.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I landed on the ground with a thud, not too sure how I even ended up there.
As the ground beneath me began to take shape, I looked down at my hand, making sure that I had succeeded in my attempt.
Sure enough, the locket was still secure in my hand, causing me to let out a sigh of relief.
I looked back up, prepared to face Sage, but as I did, I was met with nothing but landscape and ruins.
It all seemed quite familiar, but it was hard to tell as it was all covered in darkness, the moon and stars covered with clouds on this seemingly stormy night.