Do I Know you?

As both Wania and Arsalan turned around, they saw a very handsome, well-dressed and enigmatic man, marching towards them.

"Hello Wania." He said in his deep voice to Wania while completely ignoring Arsalan.

"Hi Raheel....long time." Wania's voice was was cheerful, a bit too much and Arsalan had to look back at her to see the expressions there. He wasn't surprised to find a few lines of distress around her eyes. However, she was putting up an exceptional act.

"Yeah! it has been around two years" Raheel said agreeing and then fell silent and so did Wania.

Arsalan was watching all this with great interest. He never saw Wania Ghani taking a back foot when it comes to conversing but here something was odd. There is past, Arsalan decided and then, uncharacteristically started the conversation.

"Hello, I am Arsalan Abbas from Abbas enterprise..." said Arsalan extending a hand.

The new guy suddenly shifted his attention towards Arsalan and took his hand while introducing himself as "Raheel Fareedi." 

"And congratulations on the momentous merger to both of you. All the very best." Raheel Fareedi said in the most stylish baritone that put to an average male vocals to shame.

"Yeah thanks." Arsalan and Wania said in Unison.

Raheel Fareedi was a  sophisticated gentleman in his 30s who exudes charm and elegance. With his impeccable manners and polite demeanor, he commands respect in his interactions. His refined taste is reflected in his meticulously tailored suits and carefully curated accessories. Arsalan observed him precociously and decided Raheel Fareedi was the male alter-ego of Wania Ghani. Every bit as charming and suave as she is. It was a bothersome revelation.

"So, you are a lawyer too?" Arsalan lamely asked as he realized no one is taking charge of this conversations not even Abeera who stood behind Wania looking unsure as hell.

"Ah No! I am a Public Prosecutor. Much to my father's dismay." Raheel answered his question.

"Oh That's interesting. Where are you posted?" Arsalan said finally taking genuine interest in Raheel Fareedi.

" These days I am posted in Karachi as Special Prosecutor anti-narcotics." Raheel Fareedi replied and Arsalan never felt so under qualified and meritless before in life.

"Wow!." was all he could let out.

"How is life in Karachi?" Wania finally interjected

"It's good. Of course staying away from family is never as good as being with them." Raheel said smiling.

"You can be here with them if you want." Wania said pitching an idea.

"You know I can't" Raheel said looking straight at Wania's face and the same lines appeared around her eyes again as she nodded and Arsalan's curiosity peaked.

Just then Muhammad Shanawaz Ghani came to join them along with Jami Fareedi.

"Oh look Fareedi, the future is standing right in front of us" and all four younger people turned to look at them. They all offered their regards one by one as M.S Ghani along with his companion came to stand close to them.

"I hope you all are enjoying yourselves." Shahnawaz asked jubilantly and they all nodded in agreement with a forced smile on each of their faces.

If only Muhammad Shahnawaz Ghani knew.

    ****************************************************************************************

The celebration Gala at the Ghani Marquee was an excruciating drill of  offering pleasantries, clicking photos, shaking hands and faking smiles and the Sunday Brunch at the Abbas family's villa wasn't an improvement, realized Arsalan as he went through the same meet-and-greet drill one more time.