Establishing Bonds

Wania had arrived at the Ghani industries head office with M.S Ghani. She had been discussing her new promotional campaign with him when he cut her of politely and advised her to go through this conversation with Arsalan. Wania felt irritated at this suggestion more so because she knew from her last interaction with Arsalan that, how inept he is when it comes to promotions and PR. How am I going to work with him when he didn't know a thing about my field of work, I'm not a teacher, I am a PR executive, Wania was thinking as they entered the office building and rode the elevator that took them to the 8th floor where the boardroom was situated.

In a luxuriously appointed boardroom with floor-to-ceiling windows offering a panoramic view of the city skyline, they found Alya, seated in one of the leather chairs as they entered.

"Hi Mama, welcome to the realm of Ghani Business" Wania proclaimed excitedly as she came to meet her mother, who smiled faintly.

"I am so nervous Wania." Alya admitted

"Mama, you're not alone. We are all here and....Please know that you are an incredible person and there is nothing that you can not accomplish. Don't let anyone make you think otherwise" Wania was trying to buck her up and Alya had to smile. Alya's heart warmed up at this role reversal where her daughter had become a source of strength, shielding her from the big bad world out there like a mother.

Wania took her mother's hands into hers and squeezed slightly to push some of her spirits into her. She smiled broadly and declared in a dramatic voice then,

"You'll slay, Mama." and Alya let out a nervous laugh just as M.S Ghani entered the board room and had to smile seeing both his princesses grinning broadly. The sight warmed his heart. 

"Where is Fakhir?" inquired Shahnawaz as he came in further and settled himself in at the chair reserved for the head of the Board.

"We came in together. He just went out to look for Arsalan." Alya answered. 

Shahnawaz Ghani nodded. Wania, on the other hand, was reminded of their situation and felt the need to talk to Arsalan and to go through a few points before the board meeting starts.

"I'll just come. Need to look into something." Wania said suddenly standing up and then she walked out of the room.

   *********************************************************************************

Arsalan was finding all these meetings and gatherings extremely exhausting mainly because they require talking to people. He wanted to get out of this meeting but, Fakhir was not having it. It was important, as told by his Uncle and Arsalan had to concede. He was also ordered to tidy up for the meeting with the board. It wasn't that he never sat through a board meeting before, that he had. But, back in his own family enterprise he was the little prince and nobody bothered with telling him to dress up nice, especially when he was actually good at what he was doing. However, here they are representative of their legacy and Fakhir wouldn't let him put a dent on it.

He got a call from Fakhir Abbas just as he entered the building,

"Hey! Where are you?" Fakhir voice echoed from the phone.

"Just came in.." Arsalan answered 

"Come to the 8th floor I'm waiting," Fakhir ordered and then hung up. Arsalan dragged his feet towards the elevator and pushed the button for the 8th floor.

Arsalan met Fakhir just as he stepped out of the elevator. They greeted each other and then Fakhir briefed him about the agenda points of the meeting which he was listening to with a minimal interest. Just as Fakhir concluded and patted him on the shoulder then walked off towards the boardroom, Arsalan turned and saw an immaculately dressed and impressive-looking Wania coming towards him in long, graceful strides. Arsalan found himself a bit hypnotized by the scene. Wania came to stand just in front of him and said,

"You cleaned up nice, Mr. Abbas" She said with a smirk eyeing Arsalan from head to toe in one go and admitting inwardly that he in fact looked good in a well-fitted, properly tailored, blue three-piece suite and, to Wania's utter surprise, a matching tie.

"Thanks!" was all Arsalan could let out as he tore his eyes away from her and desperately looked around to focus on something that isn't her

Wania stood there eyes straight on Arsalan and a mischievous grin on her face as she waited for him to respond further. She was ready to give him processing time.

Arsalan realized he wasn't going to be let off the hook so easily. Therefore, he took a deep breath and then looked at her face which, for some annoying reason, was glowing and then he said,

"You look....not so bad too."

Ouch! Not so bad. Wania felt like she was being challenged. It's her competitive nature that sometimes brings out this urge to stay on top of every situation but, it was also the fact that Arsalan Abbas was constantly being impersonal regarding her, so much so that it bothered her.

"Really? " Wania said with an arched eyebrow, "How kind of you." She mocked and Arsalan frowned.

"Did I say something wrong?" her sudden change in demeanour had always caught him off-guard, he was now genuinely thinking what has he done now?

Wania sighed at his confusion and said, "For God's sake, Arsalan! how am I going to teach you PR techniques if you can not so much as formulate a decent compliment for a lady colleague? At least lie better." 

"I don't lie," Arsalan said seriously and Wania felt her irritation rise a little.

"Is that so? You really believe I'm looking 'not-so-bad' han?" Wania imitated his remark, challenging him with a raised eyebrow as her eyes looked directly into his eyes and he found himself to be more perplexed than before.

"What?... What is it about exactly?" Arsalan probed defensively and then when he saw Wania rolling her eyes his own irritability peaked and he took a step towards Wania, going close enough for her to tilt her head slightly upwards to look him in the face, a little wave of confusion crossed her face at his movement. Good! Arsalan mentally patted himself and then he spoke in a low throaty voice,

"You look gorgeous....Bedazzling gorgeous, but you already know this, then why ask me?"

Wania was a bit taken aback at his generous compliment, she did want him to praise her appropriately but his compliment went a bit further, it tugged at her. However, that was nothing she couldn't handle, so she smiled at him as she responded,

"I just wanted to know if you can put your thoughts into words. It's an important skill in the PR business." she explained nonchalantly and then added "That's your first lesson." as she step away from him and moved towards the boardroom.

"C'mon, I have a lot to discuss with you before we actually start working together." Wania was instructing in a business-like tone as she waltz ahead of Arsalan in the corridor and he felt his head spin at yet another swing in her attitude.

She is turning out to be a real pain in the neck, Arsalan figured.

******************************************************************************************************