𝗖𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝚆𝙴𝙽𝚃𝗬

present day . . .

      THE door to the hospital room creaks open, and you lift your head from Kaspar's bedside to look over. A  nurse appears, her presence breaking the heavy silence.

"Excuse me, miss?" She says gently, and you turn your attention to her. "Your husband is here."

The words register, but your mind is still reeling from the events of the evening. Before you can fully process her message and correct her, the nurse pushes the door wide open to allow Eren to step into the room.

He's dressed in a black crewneck with the sleeves pushed up his forearms and grey sweats while his hair's pulled back into a tousled bun.

There's no denying that he's physically changed from your memory of him from college from growing out his hair to putting on more lean muscle since getting sober. But as you stare at your ex with memories from college weighing on your mind, you question how much your relationship's really changed from the toxic shitshow it used to be.

You quickly compartmentalize your thoughts when Eren's eyes meet yours, heavy with concern and weariness. They're quickly shifting from you to Kaspar and his expression hardens as he takes in the sight of your son lying in the hospital bed with a nebulizer fitted over his face. Seeing the fear and anxiety flicker in his eyes makes your heart suddenly drop to your stomach.

You try to speak, but a sob catches in your throat, and your words come out choked.

"I don't know if he'll be okay."

"What did the doctor say?" He asks sternly, and for a fleeting moment, you're taken aback by his hardened demeanor. Even the nurse had shown more empathy than your ex-husband is.

"They need to keep him under observation overnight," You inform him, swiftly wiping away a tear that escapes down your cheek. "He's stable for now, but they're concerned that he might have pneumonia because of his symptoms." Your voice wavers as you finish explaining.

The room remains quiet, with only the steady beeping of Kaspar's heart monitor breaking the stillness, while Eren stands silently beside you.

"Please say something." You implore him softly, your voice still quivering, while trying to hide your disappointment that his presence hasn't offered the comfort you longed for.

"I can stay here overnight if you want to go back home and rest. You have work tomorrow, don't you."

You cut him a look, astounded by his suggestion. The mix of emotions bubbling within you finds an outlet in anger. "How're you so calm about this? Our son is hospitalized! You think I care about work right now?"

Eren maintains a masked expression, his hooded eyes meeting yours calmly and fueling your frustration further.

"You could have texted me back, you know?" You continue through your tears. "I texted and called you so many times, and you didn't even bother once to let me know you were coming!"

Tension knots in your chest as the room falls into an uncomfortable silence. The weight of all your unresolved emotions makes your head feel heavy and you take deep breaths in an effort to rein in your hysteria, not wanting to lash out with more hurtful words. Your head drops into your hands as you try to gather yourself.

After some time, you lift your head and finally manage to find the words to apologize. "I'm sorry," you say to Eren, your voice tinged with remorse. "I know you're only trying to help. And I know you're trying to be strong for the both of us. You being here is more than enough— I'm sorry. I'm just freaking out."