𝗖𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙴𝙸𝙶𝙷𝗧

𝗣𝚁𝙴𝚂𝙴𝙽𝚃 𝙳𝙰𝚈, 𝙲𝙰𝚁𝙻𝙰 𝚈𝙴𝙰𝙶𝙴𝚁'𝚂 𝙷𝙾𝚄𝚂𝗘

"Y/N, RELAX. I PROMISE YOU THIS isn't as big of a deal as you're making it into. Although, I have to say I'm certainly enjoying myself seeing you like this — reminds me that you're just as human as the rest of us are."

"I'm mortified." You continue to claim even though what you really want to do is wail.

You're still in shock that this happened to you. You'd woken up extra early just to make room for any unplanned setbacks in the schedule you'd formed for yourself, but your car dying on you because Kaspar had messed with the backseat light without you knowing, leaving it on during the entire night, was not the type of unplanned thing that you'd planned for happening.

Now instead of being able to drive back to your own place where you intended on finishing up packing, taking a shower, getting ready, grabbing coffee, before finally driving over to pick up your boss, Erwin Smith, for the half-an-hour car drive to Las Vegas, you're standing in the same clothes you'd slept in while watching your boss prop up the hood of your car.

"A little help with the jumper cables, assistant?" He calls over his shoulder and you nearly spring over to him, not wanting to embarrass yourself further by letting him catch you sulking by the porch steps since you're scared he might notice the holes in the leggings you're wearing if you get any closer to him.

But the holes should be the least of your worries since Erwin's already seen you in one of Carla Yeager's borrowed loose-fitting tees. This is also the first time he's seeing your bare face, void of the usual light makeup you wore to work.

"My ex brother-in-law left with his car last night," You inform Erwin as you take the cables from him and work on untangling the red from the black. "If I'd known my car's battery died, I would've gotten him to—"

"Assistant, I genuinely don't mind having to keep assuring you that this is no problem for me to lend you a hand, but I am curious as to how many more times you think I'll have to keep telling you that this isn't a big deal." Erwin cuts you off with, making you look up at him with your lips parting in slight shock. "Shit happens, Y/N."

"Did you pick that line up from Hange, sir?" You finally force yourself to relax and joke with him.

"I made myself that obvious, did I?" He shoots you a smile as he helps you attach the alligator clips to the right sections under your car's hood. "How come Hange Zoë and I are of the same age yet I can't get away with saying half of the things she gets away with?"

You chuckle genuinely, treasuring how at ease Erwin always makes you feel. You couldn't have asked for a better boss.

Just as Erwin and you finish securing the clips, footsteps echoing across the wooden porch behind you makes you turn your head over your shoulder.

"Mommy!" Kaspar calls for you from Eren's arms. He's holding Kas around his waist, but the three-year-old looks ready to leap out of his dad's arms as he opens and closes his tiny fists in the air before him in an attempt to reach you.

"Oh my goodness, look who's awake!" You coo as you leave Erwin's side and approach your son. Eren hands your boy to you when you're in arm's reach and when you flicker your eyes up to him, you notice that he has his hardened gaze fastened on Erwin standing by your car. Ignoring this, you settle Kaspar on your hip before turning back to Erwin.

"I finally have the pleasure of meeting your little one." He smiles down at Kaspar, eyes twinkling. Kas is normally not shy with strangers, but he's just woken up so he shrinks against your body, leaning his head on your shoulder to show that he isn't interested in meeting Erwin.