Chapter thirteen

Comincia dall'inizio

"You look beautiful too" she blushed at that.

"Thank you. Come. Let's go down to dinner" she offered her arms and I took it.

"I don't know what's up with Brayan today. I'm not making any excuse for him but it must be pack work that's making him so rude. I apologize again on his behalf"

"It's fine. You don't have to keep apologizing for him. He's an adult" I muttered the last part lowly. I was honestly annoyed by her apology. Brayan was not a child. If he felt sorry for his actions, then he should apologize.

She only chuckled. "I know that but his poor behavior reflects badly on me. All of us. I don't know what foolish stunt he's going to try and pull at the table but please don't let it get to you"

"Okay" I said just as we entered the dining hall. With one last smile at me, she went over to her mate and Winry came up to me.

"You look very beautiful"

"Thank you. You look gorgeous" I smiled warmly at her. I looked around. Dryden and Nouria were not here.

"They live close by. They'll be here soon" I frowned at that. How was she able to tell what I was always thinking. Did I say it out loud or did I wear my expressions or my face. Or was it a beast thingy? To be able to read my mind. My eyes widened. If that was it, then I would have to be careful around them.

I didn't want them to read my mind and find out I was not the real bride. It would be a disaster.

The door opened and Dryden came in with Nouria. After greeting his parents, Nouria came over to where I stood with Winry.

"How are you settling in?"

Ummm. "Pretty good" I lied.

She chuckled. "It's a bit overwhelming at first but you'll get used to it"

I held back a scoff. I didn't want to get used to it. I didn't plan to. I wanted to disappear from here forever.

The door opened and we all turned to the new comer. It was Brayan. He looked freshly showered with his hair wet. His hateful glare landed on me and I looked away. His father moved over to him and they spoke in low tunes.

I could still feel his glare on me but I refused to look at him.

"Fine" I heard him say gruffly.

Dakarai turned towards me and smiled softly.

"Let's go to the table" he said in a commanding tone and we all made our way to the table.

I sat tensely on my seat while waiting for him to occupy his place. Instead, he moved to the end of the table sitting directly opposite his father.

"Brayan" Dakarai's voice was hard and had a warning tone.

"What father?" Brayan asked in a cold voice. His deep voice sending chills down my spine and i shuddered internally. The mental image of him whispering in my ears with that delicious voice of his. I was going to ruin my panties just thinking about it.

Don't think about him like that. You have a fiancé. My subconscious reminded me. I shook my head to clear the stupid thoughts.

"That is not your place at the table"

"I've made it my place today. You've taken away my choice by forcing me to mate... her. Will you also take away my choice on where to sit at the table"

He was forced too? This was news to me. Maybe I should talk to him. Tell him I'm not interested in this mating and we could find a way to both get out of the mating.

If he doesn't claw your eyes out for talking to him. Right. If his eyes could kill, I would have been dead from the moment he saw me.

"I think Brayan is right. If he doesn't want to sit by the human then he should be left alone" Whitely said with a smile.

Dakarai was ready to blow off when Elowen's hands rested on his own and he went calm. He huffed angrily and went back to his meal. Elowen shot me an apologetic smile and I smiled back in return. My eyes moved to the end of the table and landed in Brayan. He was already glaring at me. I rolled my eyes and focused on my meal.

"Are you an only child Paisley?" Dakarai asked suddenly and I tensed. Where did that question come from.

"I..." I couldn't find words and everyone including Brayan were looking at me waiting for my answer. I cleared my throat.

"No. I have siblings"

"How many?"

"Two"

"You want a large family then? Plenty children?"

"Yes" I answered while smiling. It had been a long time dream of mine. To have so many children. Mini me and Mini Edel's.

I heard a scoff down the table but I paid them no mind. I wanted to have children but definitely not with him.

"That's wonderful. I'll love a lot of grandchildren" Elowen said and I froze again.

No more talk was made around the table and everyone went back to their meal but I couldn't find any appetite to continue. The sudden question about my family put me off that and the fact that Brayan would not stop looking at me.

The rest is the meal dragged by slowly and I was happy when it ended.

"Do you want to stay up and hang out with us. There are a couple of strong drinks and we could just have a girls time and..."

"Babe" Dakarai cut his mate off.

"Today has been too much for her. I think maybe you should let her get some rest and tomorrow, you can all hang out"

"That's right. I'm sorry. You should head up now and have some sleep"

I smiled at her. I needed to get away and be alone.

"Goodnight" I said.

"Goodnight" the others responded and I hurried back up to my room. The moment the doors were closed, I pulled off the dress and underwear and headed straight for the bathroom. I washed my face while trying to clear my thoughts.

I took another quick shower and wrapped the towel around my body. Stepping into the bedroom, I picked up the clothes I dropped earlier and folded them neatly and putting them in the basket beside the bathroom.

I went into the closet and searched through my bags for something to sleep in and I saw a small note in my bag. I unfolded it quickly and stared at the strange handwriting.

Dear Nevaeh,

I know you hate the fact that we have sent you over to the beasts but this arrangement is more than you just being a bride. Our small village depends on this treaty for survival. Please do whatever you can to make sure our alliance with the beasts is not broken. I know you love your parents and your sister Paisley. You're doing this for them too. You'll forever be appreciated and honored.

~Silas

I stared at the note. The beasts didn't act violently or like animals like we were made to believe but that didn't mean they weren't dangerous. I didn't want anything to happen to my family or friends. I sighed. It was only a month. Or less. I wouldn't be the reason the alliance was broken. I will do my part and keep up with this facade until Nevaeh was found.

I stuffed the note into my bag and pulled out a thin nightdress. I quickly put it on just as I heard the room door slam open. I jumped in fright and rushed out of the closet.

Standing at the center of the room was a fuming Brayan. His intense eyes landed on me and I realized that I was wearing a see through nightwear.

I wrapped my arms around myself trying to cover my goods.

"What the fuck are you doing here" I screamed in horror. I thought he hated me. Why then was he in my bedroom. And he didn't knock too. Was he a pervert?

"This is my room" he said and I froze. What the hell? This was his room? Why the did Rivka put me in here.

I looked at the man child still glaring daggers at me. There was no way I was going to stay in the same room with him. Or share his bed.