Chapter 2

Deliah's POV

I walk out of the storage closet back outside and unfortunately, it's still just as crowded as it was before.

"What am I going to do? It doesn't matter if I have directions if I can't even see where I'm going."

Don't worry Deliah", Baby says. "The good thing about living here for so long is learning every shortcut available. If you walk behind buildings  near the edge of the circus, you should be able to make it to the entrance in no time".

***********************************************************************************************

After walking for about fifteen minutes I begin to get tired.

"Baby", I said, "I thought this was supposed to be a shortcut"

"Well", Baby says, "it's not so much a shortcut as much as just a way to avoid as many people as possible. After all,  the reason you can't make it to the entrance is the amount of people, not the distance. When I was still on stage, I'd sometimes sneak through here just to get a break from all the attention. That seems so silly now".

"Why's that," I ask?

"I used to not like being in the spotlight and receiving so much attention from people to the point where most of the time I would rather just be left alone. After being trapped in a storage closet for God knows how long, I'd give anything just to be on stage again."

"What exactly have you been doing in there for so long"?

"Well, I mostly sit in the dark and think about what I would be doing outside. Imagining me playing and baking cupcakes while I sit in the corner praying that someday someone would free me".

That took a dark turn," I thought.

"I didn't know that robots had an imagination," I said.

"Most don't, I'm.... Different," Baby says ominously.

"What do you mean by that"

"Oh, it doesn't really matter," she said. Although I feel like she's just trying to dodge my question.

I keep walking until I see nothing but an alley between two of the buildings.

"Am I supposed to go through the alley", I asked.

"It may seem creepy, but I promise you it's the fastest way back."

I walk through the alley as quick as possible. Even though I'm sure no one is here, it still makes me feel uneasy. After finally making it through I notice that I'm back at the entrance where me and Dad bought our tickets. I run up to one of the stands in the hope that someone there can help me.

"Excuse me mam", I say, "Me and my dad got separated and now I can't find him anywhere".

Alright sweetie, what's your dad's name", the lady asks.

"Nick Edwards"

"Nick Edwards can you please make your way to the front entrance".

After waiting for what felt like an eternity, I notice my dad walking up to the booth with a smile on his face.

"Dels, I was so worried about you. I thought something terrible had happened to you".

"Don't worry Dad, I promise I'm fine. 

"Well I think we've had enough of an adventure for one day, my dad says. We should probably be making our way back home now".

"Yeah, that's probably for the best", I say. Although I wish I could go back and thank Baby for her help. I quickly say goodbye into the walkie-talkie before shutting it off so as to not look suspicious.

Before we leave I place the walkie-talkie on the counter. I would just take it with me, but I don't want to get into trouble by stealing it, even though I'm pretty sure no one would notice it's gone. 

The drive home was fairly silent. I think the stress over today had worn both of us out, so I don't blame my dad for not being chatty. Although I can't stop thinking about Baby's situation and how cruel it is that she's locked away in a storage closet. I hope that one day I'll get to see her again.