Chapter 73- The Ladies of the Sun

Start from the beginning

Her meeting with Prince Francis would have to wait. Maybe the four of them, together with Fanny, could think of a way to reach the Sun prince. There was always a way and Eloise would help Lulu find it. She was her friend.

And much more.

Eloise turned to her side where several quivers stayed on the ground. They were too many and full of golden feathered arrows. She could practice the whole day, and not even half of it would have been spent. Today, the training grounds were only for her and the reason she found herself able to use them. Most of the royal guards were inspecting the city or in the middle of Royal Guards' examinations. It happened every 6 months, and only a few were chosen to rise in ranking.

Though for security reasons, the day of the examination was only disclosed the day before. Although the high-ranking officials were aware of it for some time prior.

Her grandmother told her it was a nerve-wracking affair for all. The guards were made to sit for hours in a cave, writing essays, and the older generals would oversee everything. Any wrong move and one could be disqualified or even expelled from the royal guard's battalion. It was the only chance for the lower classes to climb the ranks.

The service to the crown could turn one's family fortune, depending on whom they served and how their loyalty was regarded. To avoid unfavourable comparison the examination was created, as per the goddess's rules, that all her children should have the same opportunities. In the end, however, justice could be upended if one's desire for power was big enough and the fear of divine punishment was forgotten.

Eloise moved on from those thoughts, the quiet helping her focus. Not even a soul whispered from the high windows of the old brick building. It left Eloise alone, and she felt unease. Even if it was examination day, at least some guards should have been around.

She took three arrows from the quiver nearest to her and arranged herself back into a shooting position. As she let them fly off, she picked a noise sprouting from the silence. Running steps.

Very shallow and almost imperceptible, followed by a group of heavy steps, noisy like the armour they used. Royal soldiers.

Before she turned back, she knew they were after someone. She was, however, surprised to see Fanny running her way, wearing the maid outfit of the Royal house. Her cap fell off and showed her strawberry blonde hair tugged in a braid almost falling apart.

The soldiers were still far, and only their shadows were reaching close still. Yet, they were catching up when Fanny collapsed by her, tears running down her face, her breath in harsh stops.

She spoke out of her will and perseverance. "Please help me, my lady... I need to reach Prince Francis... " She looked back, the thundering steps growing close. "Only his royal highness can help. Prince Cedric has been seen in the Empress' palace. Lady Lucreatia thinks something is wrong. She is there with Lady Amelia."

Now screams could be heard, threats, warnings. Eloise took her shoes and spoke, her eyes trained on the group of soldiers that were coming their way. "Go, I will buy you time."

Eloise took an arrow, as she listened to Fanny running away. Her feet created a cloud of smoke Eloise felt in her skin.

With her bow, Eloise aimed. Not to a particular man or thing, but to the sky. To the sun. And she prayed.

Goddess of Light

Ear my prayer

Bring this message in this time of despair,

To wage a war of light,

To protect your daughter,

Your brightest star