Chapter 13- The punishment...?

The Duke entered his office, disregarding the cries for mercy from the servants stashed outside the room. He didn't acknowledge Jenni or Fanny either, who equally cried for leniency on my behalf. Instead, he strolled to his desk, as if trying to gauge my reaction.

I continued to be quiet, in front of his desk, with Fanny and Jenni by my side, kneeling. His focus was only on me. Under his cold blue eyes, my body shivered with fear. The time for my punishment had arrived.

"I presume you know Lucreatia, that your actions have caused problems, not only to me but to the Royal Palace too." Started the Duke, as he opened a drawer of his desk. "Had you not been my daughter, you would have been sent to prison."His voice was calm as he took out a thick shiny stick with elaborate patterns.

When the girls saw it, their cries went higher.

Contrary to them, I just became more silent, my posture unchanged. There was no way out of it, so the best was to face it head-on. I had asked for punishment, anyway. With determination, I faced the Duke.

Before he could reach me, however, Jenni put herself between me and the Duke. Still kneeling and with eyes full of tears, she begged again for his mercy.

"Papa, please spare Lucreatia. She is too young to understand her behaviour." She whispered, her voice worn from crying.

The Duke stopped for a moment to look at his older daughter and his eyes softened. For a moment, there was hope. It didn't last long, though, and right after he returned his freezing stare to me. Jenni, seeing this, wrapped her tiny arms against the Duke's leg.

"Please, papa! Punish me instead! Lucretia is too young! I, as the older sister, failed to set a good example, please punish me!" Jenni cried, spoiling the Duke's pants with her sorrowful tears.

Fanny, my maid, continued to weep never daring to plead directly to the Duke. He stopped again at hearing his daughter's cries, studying her carefully. I, however, was getting tired of this... I just wanted to have my punishment and end this fucking long day.

But instead, I had to see a soap opera unfold in front of my eyes. If this continued, I feared Jenni would get a punishment she did not deserve.

"Dear Father." My sweet tone caught the attention of all in the room. And for the first time, there was no crying. "While on my way back home, I realized how wrong I behaved towards you and the Royal family. I have no excuses and I am prepared to receive my punishment. However, be sure that I feel the sorriest for worrying you... papa..." I put on my best pitiful face and instantly I could see the Duke melting over it. Mission Accomplished!

Or so I thought.

"I am glad my daughters have learned to be responsible for their actions. It warms my heart, and as a father, I should encourage this learning process. " His eyes had reverted back to their cold stare, though with less intensity. "Lucreatia, lift your dress so we can see your ankles." At those words, the crying started again.

I did as I was told. Meanwhile, I caught the painful look on the girls' faces, which made me afraid of what was to come. The Duke knelt beside me and prepared to strike me, while I prepared myself to brace for the pain.

The stick came in contact with my bare skin and I felt..... nothing?

I mean... the stick indeed touched me, but instead of pain I only felt a cooling sensation. I was so confused, that I looked at the girls in front of me. They continued to cry and every time the stick came in contact with my ankles, they wailed louder.

But they were not the only ones... The Duke too started weeping every time he delivered my "punishment".

No, it can't be... I just stood there unaware of what to do, in complete disbelief.

Upon seeing my confusion, Fanny, my trusted maid, stopped crying and started to give me some signs. At first, I didn't understand what they meant, but then I realized she was telling me to cry. Better, to fake cry!

I could not believe the circus created over this! Dumbfounded, I stared from a weeping Duke to a pressuring Fanny and realized I would not be able to leave until I contributed to the performance as well.

So as requested, each time the duke gave me a "beating", I wailed in my most fake and pitiful way.

I felt incredibly stupid.

But it worked.... and soon after, my punishment stopped. The Duke ordered Jenni to go to her room and Fanny to wait outside.

On her way out, my maid gave me a sign of approval and a little smile. The worst had passed.

When they left, I continued to be in my position while the Duke went to sit at his desk.

"Why did you do it?" He asked, looking serious, though not as threatening as before.

"When we were on our way to the Royal Palace I saw the market and I grew curious...." I started, explaining the lie I had practised at the carriage on our way back.

"Not that." He interrupted."Why did you help the beast boy?" The Duke's voice was low and husky, and his piercing eyes were locked with mine, assessing me. Too much of this stare was bad for my health!

"Because no child should suffer in a prison like Alcatraz. I heard horrible things about the place." It was the only truth I could tell him. I just hoped he didn't question my "sources". He didn't. Instead, those words made him laugh. It was a dry and unexpected laugh.

"You are such a nice child, Lucreatia." His voice was sweet and...sad. So were his eyes. "But do you really think those two are just normal children?" He waited for my reaction, and when he saw my shock at his words he smiled. A sad smile, this time.

"You are wrong. One of them is the Prince of a neighbouring Empire and the other an aide, chosen by their Emperor to protect his heir. To think they are like any other children is a mistake." Now the Duke was no longer looking at me. Instead, he concentrated his efforts on the thousands of papers lying on his desk.

"Go. Stay in your room until I say so. There, you can think over today's mistakes. A smart child like you will be able to figure them out." With that, he rang a bell and Fanny came inside to drag me out.

On my journey back to my room, his words haunted me. 

I knew he was right.

Uhmmm... what do you think will happen? What did you think of the chapter?

Tell me about it!!

-//---------------------------

In case you like my stories and would like to support me, now you can buy me a coffee!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/andreascribe

Thanks!!!