Chapter 38- Conspiracy between friends

The day of our visit to the Di'Mello's had arrived. Both me and Jenni departed early in the morning. We said our goodbyes to our servants on our way to the carriage that would take us to the city where Eloise and her grandmother lived while away from their dukedom.

During our walk, the duke's absence was noticeable and brought an uncomfortable heaviness into the air. It had been a week since I saw him, though I guessed he passed by my door several times over that period. I got the proof when last night I noticed some shadows under my bedroom door. As if someone was walking from one side to another. Like he did in Aerabitina, and just like that time, he never grew the courage to come inside.

In part, I was thankful. I was not yet ready to see him.

The trip was a silent and awkward one. Although time passed by in an agonizing slowness inside those cramped walls, it was only a short distance to Eloise's house. Jenni kept to herself. Between her hands was a letter crafted by the Duke, bearing the seal of the Mountnero family. Most likely penned for Lady Di'Mello. For sure, to explain why he wouldn't be joining them for at least the tea break.

How much he would say was unclear, but he would tell her something. And that was an opportunity.

I observed it for some time until I took my interest back to the outside world. The city bustled with life and sounds. Same old same, not much had changed since the last time we had come for shopping. Things only became exciting (if I could use that word) when instead of turning into the main square, we went forward down to the street into the residential area. The rich residential area.

We passed several townhouses and small mansions, of built-in stone and hardwood, until we reached one of the biggest houses in the centre of the capital. The size of five townhouses, it had large green windows and a pale pink colour. The bannisters on each side of the entrance had the coat of arms of the Di'Mello family, a silver crow looking at the glorious sun.

Our carriage stopped right in front of the stairs that led to the entrance. Already there was Eloise, waiting for us. A well-groomed footman opened the door of our carriage and helped us down before we made our way to our host and friend.

She received us with a smile and a warm welcome. Her eyes always watching, always attentive. Jenni, after her greetings, scanned the surroundings, trying to find the duchess while she still clutched the letter in her hands.

A gesture that hadn't escaped Eloise's attention. "Grandmother is currently out on an errand, but I will order the butler to tell her she has a message the moment she arrives." Said the girl as she moved away to give us passage to the inside of her house.

Jenni, surprised by Eloise's sharp assumption, put the letter in her dress pocket before allowing a servant to take her coat. We followed Eloise while she took us through a grand corridor with painted frescos on the ceiling and pleasant colours on the side. We passed three doors before stopping at the fourth, where it led to the Di'Mello's formal drawing-room. A pink pastel-coloured place with flashes of blue and gold on its furniture and rugs. Cute and delightful, and most likely a choice from Eloise.

Inside was already Amelia, who sat on a rose-coloured armchair embroidered with yellow canaries. Just like all the other five chairs that surrounded a low tea table, where tea and biscuits were spread out evenly. The room smelled of the roses and dandelions that were sprinkled around. Most were near the three big windows that allowed ample light in all corners of the room.

Amelia greeted us with a smile, the kind that was unmatched in joy, which made it impossible to reciprocate with less than a matching smile of my own. Though I was certain I had made great efforts to hide my awkwardness, she still quirked her brown at me and Jenni, and while her smile dimmed, Amelia didn't comment on her thoughts.