Chapter 73- The Ladies of the Sun

I heard the screams for a while, knowing I had doomed everyone in Wolff's path, hoping Amelia was safe with the children, far away from the crazy rampage.

I waited, looking at the blood that ran from my hands. I felt nothing but a strange numbness that grew with the silence that came from the dying screams of those unlucky to be on the way of a furious wolf.

Even then, I was aware of everything around me. The chains, now dark and listless, the body of the guards behind me, and the narrowness of the carved cell, which seemed to become even more narrow and more claustrophobic with each second.

I was alone in a dark place.

Alone, until I heard my name.

"Lulu."

I turned in disbelief, sure I had heard wrong. Not just because I had not sensed Amelia at all, but because I could not believe she had hidden a group of children and found me so quickly.

Amelia kneeled close to me, her eyes on my bloodied hands.

"I hid the children in the rooms upstairs. Taking them out would not be wise." she said, clasping my hands softly. "You are hurt."

Her words woke me from my numb state. I needed to do something, and I needed her away. No more children should be in the crossfire of this horrible scheme.

"Amelia, go and hide."

"No." she replied, her face serious, resolute.

It would not be easy. My hands touched her face, my thumbs marking her skin red. "Amelia, I care for you. Deeply." I took a breath, my eyes misting, pain taking over. "I cannot lose you, nor have you hurt for following me. Promise me."

Her brows furrowed, unhappy. "And what will you do?"

A sigh escaped my lips as my head hung for a little. "I will help another person I care deeply about."

"Hurt?"

I lifted my head, a little smile appearing as my hand fought to find something I had hidden in the apron. A small crystal bottle, one given to me by Francis when I had been hurt by that awful aide of Joshua's.

A long time ago.

"I got a gift." I said, pouring the holy water on my hands, washing the blood away and any scars that would have been born out of it.

Amelia's eyes shone at such a sight, her mouth slightly agape.

"Promise me." I repeated, now leaving her to collect my discarded musket and pistol.

When those were on my hands, I turned one last time to her and leaned my head into hers, our skin touching. "I beg of you."

She said nothing. And with the crushing howling of Wolff, I left.

Mistaking the silence for an unsaid promise.

***

Amelia had her hands open, with blood falling from them. Blood that was not hers. She felt it drying it on her skin, on her fingertips and on her cheeks. The metallic scent overcame everything around her, bringing a voice to her head.

One she had not heard in a long time.

What will you do about your little bunny?

Amelia took a big breath, choking on the scent of blood. And the voice sang a crooked song in its crooked melody.

A little bunny, hopping with his grey legs,

Seeking places to play with its red eyes.

It hopped and hopped