Chapter 32- A room full of troublemakers

Eloise arrived an hour later, an agreeable smile on her lips, prepared to help with our baking. After our greetings, and while she tied the apron on her back, she told us about the whereabouts of Lady Di'Mello. It seemed she had been stuck with Gobbie. Poor lady... He most likely was venting his sour mood onto her. Spewing about the many injustices life has brought down to him in the form of two royal princes.

I can only guess what more he could say, but any scenario would provoke gruesome nightmares.

Unfortunately, for lady Di'Mello, there was not much any of us could do, so we concentrated on baking, instead, hoping for the best. Under Fanny's watchful eyes, we were able to produce presentable batches of cookies and choco balls.

Eloise, a natural in any setting, seemed comfortable with the act of baking, taking tips and advice at speed and improving on the spot. Amelia, while excited, was perhaps a tad too excited and almost made me feel sorry for the dough being squeezed under her hands. And Jenni... Well... At last, I found her only weakness. Anything related to baking or cooking.

She was so accident prone that Fanny forbade her from touching anything after we all ended up covered in flour and dough.

And it was while we were trying to dust out some of it from us that Lady Di'Mello appeared, her face stricken and tired. For sure, Gobbie's doing.

"I see you ladies are having fun." she said, a small grin emerging from the strict lines of her face. "Better than me at least..." the smile disappeared, replaced by the longest sigh I had ever heard from her.

"Did father get too overexcited?" offered Jenni, approaching while she patted on her sleeves, creating a cloud of white powder around her.

Lady Di'Mello pounded her cane hard on the ground. "Overexcited?! I wish! More impossible to have a normal conversation with!" she turned to Eloise. "My dear Elli, I see you are in excellent hands." Another long breath left her as she closed her eyes for a moment. "I must go. Unfortunately, I cannot handle him anymore. If I stay any longer, I would have to hear him cry and recite endless tirades over sneaky teenagers and foxy princes... I may just get bedridden if this continues."

Unable to contain myself, I blurted, recalling our time in Aerabitina. "I thought you would find his misery funny..."

Jenni shot me an admonishing glance, which I pretended not to see. However, Lady Di'Mello didn't seem to care as per her genuine laughter. "Indeed, my dear. Though I was not expecting his misery to cause mine." she leaned in, her shining eyes on me. "It must have been the goddess' punishment for my words."

I looked at her. At those sharp, knowing eyes. At her remarkable face, that bore dignity in each movement. Her words were jovial, yet her demeanour had grown serious over them. It was odd.

She retired herself to a straighter position, declaring with a wide grin. "It is time for me to take leave. Girls, I hope you have fun with the prince and if possible, make that fool cry actual tears."

Then she left, waving at us and walking as fast as she could with her cane.

Because it was turning late, and we were not what one would have considered ready to receive a prince. Much less two. Unless either wouldn't mind us being covered in flour (which, despite what Fanny said, I thought of it as a possibility, if only because a fox would have a laugh for the rest of the evening). Maids rushed us to try new dresses and hairstyles, making sure we were proper by the time the princes had arrived.

They showed up as night sank on the horizon, greeting us from afar. Then, me and Jenni as hosts (because Gobbie refused to go along) steered the princes and their aides to our most lavish drawing-room, where the girls waited. Adorned in blue and gold, painted details and charming furniture, the room was warm and inviting. We all sat and tea came. However, there was no movement and there was no word spoken for 20 minutes. The air became cold and strained.