Chapter 10- Consequences

"Well, if it isn't the two troublemakers who took my daughter away..." started the Duke while everyone remained in silence, afraid of becoming the target of his colder-than-ice eyes.

"Let me explain Your Excellency..." Cedric moved forward, in little steps, as if he wanted to shield us from the wrath emanated by the Duke.

"Your Royal Highness, please keep your excuses to your royal tutor and the Emperor. They are waiting for you in the Throne room and they will decide your punishment." The Duke's voice was chilling, and I could swear the surrounding air was getting colder when he spoke.

"Yes, I will go." accepted Cedric. Not that he had any other choice after the mess he caused.

"Please royal knights, take Prince Cedric to the Emperor." Two knights, in full shining armour, came forward. I could barely see their faces, but I could see the Empire's crest on their chest. The glorious Sun, that never slept. "And you two..." the Duke pointed to other knights. They were far and surrounded by darkness.

Those, as I inspected when they got closer, were the Knights of the Temple. The Templar, covered head to toe in armour, grey and spent, with black crosses in the arms, legs, head, and chest. Right there, I knew they were trouble.

"Take this beast and prosecute him for the kidnapping of a Grand Duke's daughter. Take him to Alcatraz. " At that Cedric put himself between the Templar and his aide, yelling against the unfairness of this treatment.

The royal knights pushed him away while he continued to protest. I just stood there, afraid of what Wolff would be suffering.

Alcatraz was the Temple's prison, where the prisoners suffered the most painful punishment. Especially the halflings, who, according to the book, were tortured and experimented for the sake of knowledge. Half beasts did not survive there for more than some months.

"Your majesty, worry not for this lowly servant. I will accept the punishment." Said Wolff smiling softly to Cedric, who was still fighting off the knights.

I saw then tears in the prince's eyes. Since I was close to Wolff, I was able to see him trying to secure his trembling hands. Then, I realized how fucked up all of this was... Wolff was no more than two years older than Lucreatia. He was a child and did nothing that deserved this treatment... except being a Half-beast. The weak link, and the only way the Duke could punish Prince Cedric.

When the Templar came to pick Wolff, by the collar, making him weep, my mind went blank. I go forward, closer to the Duke, and do something I for sure would regret later.

"Please stop this madness Father." My yell was enough to bring the attention of everyone. The Duke, shocked, just looked at me. " I cannot see people get punished for something I am also to blame. Please punish me as well, father." I look at his blue eyes, defiant.

"What are you saying Lucreatia?" Asked the Duke, unsure of what to take from my words. Still, his eyes were locked on mine.

"I am saying, Father, that I went with Prince Cedric and his aide on my free will." A complete lie, but the truth wouldn't help at this time. "Please punish me as the others. Take me to Alcatraz too." I heard several gasps. No one could believe the words of the beloved daughter of the Duke, not even him. I just needed to continue to bluff and pray it would work to divert the attention.

"Nonsense. Aides, take Lucreatia to the carriage." The duke pointed to his closest helpers, who right away came to my side. I am sure the duke thought it would make me follow his orders, he was wrong.

"NO. Punish me." And I did what I could do to shock people, even more. I lifted my shirt and showed my ankles.

A horrific thing to do, if you were a noble lady. No one could see your ankles, only your family and your servants. The only time a girl lifted her skirt was to receive 'the beating'. A kind of punishment bestowed on the ladies of the Sun Empire. They would have their ankles repeatedly beaten by a cane. Hurtful and simple.

"Put your skirt down at this moment!" His eyes darkened, no longer bearing the clear blue I was used to. "Do it or..." for the first time the Duke raised a hand to Lucreatia, and for a moment I thought he would hit me. My body thought the same and flinched under his cold eyes.

"My lord!" One of the Duke's aides yelled. An unconscious reaction, yet efficient in restoring the Duke's composure. Though, his eyes were still dangerously dark at the moment. The rest of the audience stayed quiet, assessing what was happening.

"Ahhh... as you wish my daughter... you shall be punished... take her to the carriage...." he put the same hand he had lifted, on his face, as if he wanted to hide his expression.

"I have to be punished the same way!" I cried. After going this far, I couldn't stop. I needed to be sure Wolff wouldn't go to Alcatraz.

"Prince Cedric's aide will have his punishment decided by his majesty, the Emperor. Royal knights take them. Templar, please return, your assistance is no longer needed." He turned, no longer facing me, or anyone else, for that matter.

Some people started to protest, and I noticed it was the Templar. They were still grabbing Wolff, shaking him off like he was a piece of trash.

"I want no more discussions!" The Duke yelled. Even if no one could see his face, all knew not to bother a cold-blooded beast. "We all have work to do, let's not waste more time. I am tired already..." he left,  followed by his aides, except the ones tasked with taking me to the carriage.

The royal knights took Wolff from the Templars' hands, who left in the darkness, cursing the luck of the "demonic beast".

When they were out of sight, I went with the aides, sure of getting my punishment at home. I gave a final look to Cedric and Wolff and got back a worried look from them.

At least Wolff was safe from the Temple. So I hoped...

Lulu went off against the Duke!! So what did you think about it and the rest as well?

I am curious to know your feedback!!

-//---------------------------

In case you like my stories and would like to support me, now you can buy me a coffee!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/andreascribe

Thanks!!!