32

"Mae! You have a guest out here," Liam called out from the front desk

"Send them to my office, I'll be right there!," Mae called back as she finished washing up. She should have been with her dad and Tate this morning, her dad wanted her advice on a horse he wanted to buy to send on the road. It's a good way to make a lot of money as a ranch owner and with all the threats against their ranch they could surely use it. Mae couldn't be there because she got an emergency call from the police department that they broke up an illegal dog fighting ring and that two of them almost tore each other apart.

Mae could only save one of the two and she called in all of her employees and vet students to help with the dozen dogs brought in. She had hope but she knew that they wouldn't be able to save all of them, they were kept in too bad situations for too long and it would be a damn miracle. She hated people that ran these things, absolutely despised them. Dogs looked at people to protect, love and help them, not to turn them into killers for cash. It was the lowest of low people and if she could, she would kill all of them herself.

Mae wiped her tears for the lost dog as she made her way to her office only to see Jamie. Mae felt her heart ache at seeing him, she loved him but at the same time what he did to Beth was unforgivable.

"Are you okay? You look like you've been crying?," Jamie asked as he saw his sister's tearstained face.

"I feel like crying is almost all I've been doing these last couple of months," Mae answered, "What do you want Jamie?"

"I wanted to ask if you knew? You've always been his favourite so I need to know if you knew," Jamie had two files clutched in his hands.

"What are you talking about it?"

"Did you know that I was adopted?," Jamie asked.

"I'm sorry, what?," Mae asked confused as hell and Jamie handed her the two files. Mae frowned as she flipped through them. The first was his birth certificate and adoption papers, he really had been adopted. His birth name was Jamie Randall.

"Oh my gosh, Jamie, why didn't he ever tell us? Tell you?," Mae asked as she looked up at him confused. Jamie sighed in relief knowing that she never lied to him.

"I asked him and the answer is in the next file," Jamie pointed at it and Mae immediately flipped it open. Her mouth fell open in horror as she read the police report. He was only a couple of months old when his father beat his mother to death and was taken to jail.

"Jamie, I'm so sorry," Mae felt new tears building for him. Jamie felt good at seeing the tears, it meant she still cared and frankly she was the only one that he hoped would still care for him.

"He said that your mother-" Mae interrupted him.

"Our mom. Jamie it takes more than giving birth to be a mother. Yes your biological mother never got the chance to raise you but our mom did and she loved you so that still makes her your mom too."