3

March 30, 1997

"Can Mae ride with me Mommy? Please?"  

"I wanna ride with Kayce! Please, Mommy!" 

Evelyn Dutton looked between her two youngest children unsure. She knew that Kayce was an excellent rider and that Mae showed the beginning signs of an excellent rider but she didn't know if it would be safe to put them on their own horse. 

"Please, Mommy. I promise to be extra careful." 

Kayce's puppy dog eyes always tended to work on Evelyn, he was her favourite. 

"Oh alright but you two have to promise to be extra careful." 

"We promise!" 

The two youngest giggled together in happiness. 

Seven year old Kayce helped himself onto his horse while Evelyn helped five year old Mae. Mae was placed in front of Kayce and Evelyn told them to hold onto each other. 

"Do I really have to do this?" 

"Beth, you're a thirteen year old that grew up on this ranch, you can't possibly still be scared of horses." 

"But Mom -"

"No, Beth, get on your horse." 

The thirteen year old frowned but did as told. It was clear as day that the girl despised being on the horse, she was extremely uncomfortable and scared. 

The four Dutton's set off on a ride around the ranch. Evelyn decided to do this every year with her kids while her husband brands their cattle, until the kids are old enough to help. 

"Hold on," Kayce whispered to his younger sister. Mae nodded an excited grin on her face. 

Kayce made his horse go into a small gallop near Beth's horse. Beth's horse reacted to her fear and pulled away from Kayce's horse.

"Kayce, stop it!" 

Mae and Kayce laughed, both too young to understand or hear the fear in Beth's voice.  

"They're doing what you should be doing, enjoying themselves. You'd think I asked you to paint a goddamn fence." 

"Well the damn thing is scared of everything!"

"No, horses are only scared of what you're scared of. You're scared of everything and now he is too."

The family were deep in the ranch on top of a hill by a gate. Kayce and Mae in front, Evelyn behind them and Beth in the back. 

Beth made a frightened noise as her horse picked up a little speed. 

"Beth I swear to god," Evelyn was beginning to become irritated by her oldest daughter.