19

Ryan and Rip stayed in the main house with the Dutton women that night. Ryan held Mae in his arms, he was so close to losing her yesterday. He never wanted her in a situation like that again. He was terrified of losing her, and he still was. She was his everything, he didn't want anything to happen to her, he didn't want to lose her. 

"Morning," Mae whispered, as she woke up to see Ryan's piercing blue eyes staring at her. 

"Morning, how are you feeling?," he asked as he stroked her hair. 

"Sore," she whispered as she closed her eyes and focused on the feeling of him stroking her hair, "Can you give me my meds?"

"Not until you've eaten something. Gator's already made breakfast, if you don't want to go down and eat with the rest of your family, then I can go get you something?," Ryan offered. 

"Please?," Mae asked, "And get yourself something too." 

"Alright, I'll be right back." 

xxx

"Ryan!," John called as he walked past the dining room to go into the kitchen. 

"Yes sir?," Ryan asked as he walked into the dining room. Beth, Kayce, Monica and Tate were all staring at him. 

"Is Mae not coming down?," he asked. 

"No, Sir. She uh she doesn't feel up to it. I'm just going to take her something to eat so she can drink the rest of her meds," he explained. 

John nodded and pointed at a plate for him to fill up. Ryan nodded and filled it up with some of the breakfast foods, as he reached for two muffins at the bowl next to Tate, the little boy asked him: "Is Aunty Mae okay, Mr. Ryan?"

"She will be, Tate. She's strong just like you," Ryan squeezed the boys' shoulder before walking back up to Mae's room. 

Mae probably ate a quarter of the plate and Ryan the rest, before she took her meds and slept again. She had another hour of rest before she has to get ready to go see Charlie and Evie in the hospital. Ryan waited until she fell asleep before kissing her head and walking out of the house. 

Kayce and John were already waiting for him at the bottom of the staircase. 

"Ryan, come sit," John nodded as he gestured to the couch across from the father and son.

"We want to thank you, you were there for her when we couldn't be. She might not have made it, not to mention Charlie and Evie. This family owes you and Lloyd so much, we won't ever be able to repay you but we can try-"

"Sir, if I may stop you. I didn't do what I did to be repaid, I don't want anything. Actually that's not entirely true, I want her to be safe. I want to go back to yesterday morning and stop her from going to work or at least to go with her. Unfortunately I'm never going to get what I want. I did what I did because I love her with everything I have and I will always regret not getting there sooner. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got work to get done." 

The Dutton men turned and watched as Ryan left the main house. They both knew now more than ever that Ryan really was the right man for Mae, he would do anything for her and they couldn't be more grateful to him. John just hoped that he would be enough to save her from the funk, the funk John knew she would go into just like she did after him. 

xxx

"Mae, wake up!," she groaned as her shoulders were roughly shaken by someone. 

"What the fuck do you want, Beth?"

"To tell you that our father just had a meeting with Rainwater and Jenkins," Mae slowly sat up, wincing in pain. 

"Why the hell would he do that?"