9

Ryan waited until he was sure Mae was fast asleep before he moved her out of his arms

Ryan waited until he was sure Mae was fast asleep before he moved her out of his arms. He watched as she cuddled into the pillow he was laying on before. He wished he could stay with her, he wished he could wake up to her every morning but he knew it was too soon. Ryan knew he had to ask her father, Jamie, Kayce and Beth but there seems to always be some type of catastrophe in this family, especially surrounding these four. He was getting irritated by himself for taking so long but each time he went to approach one of them, they would be gone, and besides he wasn't even sure he should ask Jamie. Ryan knows that Mae would have forgiven him for what happened in the barn but he hasn't forgiven him yet and even if he did, he had no idea if Jamie would even agree. Jamie might still be pissed at Ryan for kicking his ass.

Ryan left Mae's room to sneak out where he came in but he came face-to-face with a smirking Beth Dutton.

"So, you're the reason my sister's been all smiley? I had my suspicions after Lee's funeral but sneaking out of her room, in a house full of shotguns, that takes some fucking balls."

"It's not what it looks like."

"Oh I know you didn't fuck her or you were just so shit at it that she fell asleep."

"She was crying, Rip told me she had a shitty day. I came to see if she was okay but she asked me to stay until she fell asleep."

"She snuck you in my bedroom window?"

Ryan nodded, not really knowing what to say.

"Huh it looks like I did influence her after all. Come with me, lover boy."

Ryan followed her into her bedroom: "I want you to know that I'm not planning on hurting her, ever. Hell I beat up Jamie that day in the barn when he laid his hands on her."

"Jamie laid his hands on her?"

"Yeah, that day in the barn after he hit you."

Ryan could see the anger starting to show on Beth's face. She didn't know, she didn't think he would. It didn't surprise her that Jamie punched her, hell they've done worse to each other, but Mae's never been on the receiving end of any of their hits. Beth was sure that Mae was the only one in this family that Jamie actually loved but now she could say without a doubt that he was rotten to the damn core. A selfish bastard that would be the end of this family if he wasn't kept in check and Beth would make sure to tie a leash around his neck. He couldn't be trusted, she's been telling the family that for years, this just proved it.

"And you kicked his ass?"

"And threatened him."

"You might be good enough for my sister after all."

Ryan shook his head: "I'll never be good enough but she chose me, for whatever fucking reason she chose me and I don't intend on making her regret it."

"Good answer. I have to admit I haven't seen her so fucking happy in years. My sister's been through a lot, stuff no one as precious as her should ever have fucking gone through. If you so much as break one of her nails, I will ruin you."