13

Mae was rushing around her father's room, getting everything ready, her father called Kayce and said that he was coming home

Mae was rushing around her father's room, getting everything ready, her father called Kayce and said that he was coming home. Kayce offered her to go with him to pick up John but she declined since she had enough to do at home. 

She started this project the moment her father went to the hospital and the doctor said he was going to be okay. Mae could psycho-analyse herself and go into a full rant on how this all had to do with the fear of losing her father but she didn't want to, the wranglers learned that the hard way. She called a meeting with all of them, Rip, Kayce and Gator, she threatened them all with a fate worse than death if they aided her father in abandoning his new healthy lifestyle (that he does not know about yet). Walker called her crazy and suggested that she go and visit a psychiatrist, Mae threw a pan at his head. She made it her mission to try her best to create a mostly stress-free home life for her father and even though Rip and Kayce loved pointing out the flaws in her plan, they weren't there to stop her. 

John Dutton's bedroom had new blue bedsheets, because blue is a calming colour, a fish tank, because aquarium therapy can reduce heartrate by 3% in ten minutes, a humidifier with calming oils like lavender and chamomile and blackout curtains so he could get some actual rest. 

In the kitchen Gator was given a list of foods he can only make on the weekends. If her dad was going to need to live a healthy lifestyle, they all could follow his example, she didn't need another cowboy getting an ulcer. He had a new collection of tees including chamomile and jasmine and he can only have two cups of coffee a day. She also threw out his snack drawer, her father might not seem like it, but he sure loved his M&M's. 

Mae bought him new blankets that he could use anywhere in the house and got him a couple of new shirts, sweaters and jackets, since the man barely ever goes shopping for himself. She even got him a new pair of slippers, she had wrestle them out of Gus' grip a few times, but they still looked good as new.

xxx

The wranglers were fixing the fence up in one of the pastures. It was almost time to move the cattle up there. 

"This is what you call low man work, Jimmy," Walker tried to mock the younger guy but all the branded men, immediately got defensive. 

"What do you think you are?," Lloyd bit back as he glared at Walker. 

"Why isn't Cowboy out here?" Jimmy still had trouble comprehending what Cowboy's role on this ranch really was, he didn't understand what the term "dayworker" meant and none of the other wranglers were really helping him. 

"He's a dayworker, Jimmy, his ass stays in the saddle," Rip explained to the youngest wrangler. 

"I've worked on a few ranches where my ass never left the saddle either," Rip glared at Walker. The asshole was becoming more cocky and talkative every day and he's had enough of it. 

"Well maybe you should have stayed there, Walker." 

"Don't I know it," Ryan even turned around at Walker's smartass reply. Ryan usually tried his best to stay out of the drama between Rip and Walker but he had to side with Rip, the guy was a disrespectful asshole, and he was still pissed about him calling Mae crazy.