1. Fifth grade - Stiles

Start from the beginning

The door opened and out came Percy’s mum, holding her son’s hand. They both looked sad, defeated even. His mum looked very tired, with deep bags under her eyes and a deep frown that looked very out of place. 

Percy waved as they passed, and when they were about to step out the doors, I swear I heard her say, “how many more times is this going to happen, honey…?”

“Stiles?” I looked up at the sound of my dad’s voice, he was beckoning me towards the office door. “Come on, let’s go, bud.”

I didn’t see Percy the next day, and his name wasn’t called in the role. It didn’t take long for me to realise the kid had been expelled, not just given lunchtime detentions. It seemed far too cruel for a young boy though, it was obviously an accident.

It didn’t matter though, Percy never came back. I asked my dad about their family, he told me they lived in Manhattan and Percy had been staying with a relative so he had no reason to be in Beacon Hills anymore.

Scott patted my back suddenly, and I looked up at him. I almost expected him to say something meaningful, something deep. “Stop moping and help me stack the chairs.”

Then again we’re both only eleven.

----

My phone buzzed in my pocket, I pulled it out and pressed answer. Scott’s voice came out of the speakers, a little fuzzy, “dude, where are you?

“On a …walk.” This technically wasn’t a lie, I was walking along a small lane. Just not with the intent of going for a simple walk.

A walk? You never do that, what are you really doing?” Scott asked, picking up on the lie easily. “Actually, just tell me where you are.”

“Altaine Road.”

Allison’s street? Are you seriously trying to prove they’re not the hunters or —something?”

I didn’t answer, having stopped walking altogether. Next door to the Argents home was a moving truck where several people were lifting heavy boxes from the back and into the house. Mr and Mrs Argent appeared to be helping, talking happily with a lady. 

“Looks like they have new neighbours,” I noted, speaking into my phone again. “The argents seem pretty familiar with them too.”

What? Who?” Scott said. 

“I don’t know, Scott. They’re just moving in now.” I continued walking, “I’ll tell you what I find out later.” I hung up before anything else could be said, then walked as close to the houses as I could without being suspicious. 

A few men in bright red work shirts helped a boy around my age (maybe) lift furniture through the door into the house. The women carried boxes beside Allison’s parents, talking loudly about travelling. 

Allison was —was running towards me. She’d left the boxes she’d been carrying on the grass for someone else to deal with and was now calling out his name, “stiles! Hey!”

I walked off the path, “hey Allison, how are you?”

“Good, good.” Allison tilted her head curiously, “what are you doing here?”

“Oh, uh, I got really bored at home so I decided to go for a walk,” I bobbed my head, tucking my hands in my pockets. 

“You live near here?”

“Nope.”

She nodded her head, kissing her teeth, “well, if you’re so bored you could come help us. We’re moving our neighbours' furniture into their house.”

I agreed and we walked up to the house. Allison picked up her forgotten box and I found –the lightest possible box— another box I could manage with, and lifted it through the doors. 

The house smelt fresh, like lavender and vanilla flowers. The walls were a mix of colours, some creamy white and others soft blues. The floor looked like a million shells pushed into sand, though it felt like normal, smooth tiles. 

They left the boxes in what I guessed was the lounge room, it was hard to be sure since all the rooms were empty except for a few beach paintings. It was noticeably a beach based kind of house, not one that really belonged in a city but it was nice nonetheless.

The parents spotted me then, and the lady’s eyebrows narrowed, “Sorry, but who are you?”

“My name’s Stiles, I’m a friend of Allison’s.” I answered quickly, feeling like I was being analysed. “She asked if I wanted to help, I said yes. Sorry for intruding.”

“Oh, it’s fine dear. Thank you, I’m Sally Jackson.” her eyes softened, “you look my son's age, you know. Maybe you’ll see him in school tomorrow.”

1403 words