27

KIERA

Kiera had just finished getting ready for bed when she heard a knock on her door. She paused for a second as her dad didn't usually knock, but when she realized he was still outside, she said "Come in."

Her dad slowly entered the room as she took a seat on her bed. He pulled out the chair at her desk and sat down. Silence didn't fill the room for long as her dad quickly got the words out. "I know I've been hard on you, Kiera. I thought I had to, after what happened. But I see now that's not what you needed."

Kiera shook her head. "No," she said. "You were right. I'm not the same person anymore. Now I just cause problems wherever I go. It is frustrating to deal with someone like me."

Her dad's eyebrows furrowed. "Kiera don't say that. It's not your fault." He reassured her. "I'm- I'm the parent. I should be able to handle things."

Kiera didn't know what to say. On one hand she believed him but on the other, he wouldn't have to handle anything if she didn't do all the things she had. If only she could just be the same person she was before it all happened. Instead she was just messed up and causing problems for everyone. She could see it then.

"I should've been there for you." Her dad continued. "After your mom passed, I should've been there for you more. Maybe what happened at the start of the year, wouldn't-."

"Dad," Kiera cut him off. "No. That had nothing to do with mom."

"What was it about then?" Her dad asked.

Kiera refused to reply. He was at the meeting so he knew what they said caused the incident. That's all he needed to know.

Her dad sighed when it was obvious she wasn't going ot divulged any further information. "I also wanted to tell you that you have to go back to school tomorrow. I don't know why you don't want to go and I can't have you sitting at home so-"

"Okay, dad." Kiera said finally.

Neither of them said another word as her dad left the room. Her hand fiddled with the bed sheet as she wondered what school would be like the next day. She barely had to face anyone last time but she was sure everyone would know by then. Halle and Lance too. They probably believed it after the last couple of interactions she had with them. She felt she didn't act too far from what the guy said about her.

It would be so easy if she never had to go back. But that wasn't going ot happen again. She was in her last year of high school so there was no starting over unless she wanted to be held back. The thought of that made her head hurt.

As Kiera was about to get under the covers she noticed something on her table. A feeling of surprise washed over her as she realized it was her phone. Her dad must've left in when he talked to her. Still, Kiera didn't pick it up. Instead she turned the lights off, got under the covers, and tried to block the thoughts of what the next day would be like.

* * *

The first part of the day went by smoothly until Kiera decided to head outside during lunch period. She noticed a couple of people staring at her but that was something she was used to. It wasn't until she passed a group that things got worse.

"Why do slutty people make up stories like that?" One person said followed by people chuckling.

"They can't own up to it," another replied. "If my friend wanted to have sex with my boyfriend then did that afterwards, we'd have to fight."

They laughed some more as Kiera tried her hardest to not go over to them. She didn't want to draw any attention to herself though she couldn't help but stop and listen.