19

KIERA

Kiera sat in the car as she waited for Halle to arrive. It was Sunday afternoon and she was parked in front of Josie's house, wondering if she made the right decision. Josie's parents were having a family barbeque and Josie invited her. Kiera spent the whole morning debating whether she should go or not. And even then, her mind was telling her to quickly leave as no one would know she was there. Shaking the thoughts out of her head Kiera picked up her phone and was about the call Halle when she saw her car pull up. 

With a sigh, Kiera got out of her car and waited for Halle to notice her. “Hi,” Halle said excitedly. She adjusted her bag on one shoulder and held up a container in the other hand. “I brought pie.”

Kiera nodded then they walked up the steps together. They didn’t have to wait for long as a woman, shorter than Halle, opened the door. “Good afternoon, Halle.”

“Afternoon, Mrs. Russell,” Halle replied. “I brought Meringue pie.” 

Mrs. Russell’s face lit up. She took the pie from Halle and said, “I’ll have to invite you over to bake together some time again.” 

“I can’t wait,” Halle replied. “This is Kiera, by the way.”

The woman’s hooded eyes landed on her. “Oh Kiera, nice to meet you.” She smiled. “Josie mentioned that you’re new here. Welcome to the neighbourhood.”

“Thanks,” Kiera said softly then Mrs. Russell ushered them inside.

Inside the house was a mixture of neutral colours. It wasn’t Kiera’s favorite look but what did that matter? She only had to see it for a few minutes that day. Halle told her that they’d be spending most of the time in the backyard. 

Kiera took a seat on the sofa while Halle went to the kitchen with Mrs. Russell, presumably to chat about things. Kiera wrapped her arms around her torso as she sat there in the mostly silent house. The only sounds were the distant chatter of the two in the kitchen and her bag zipper moving as she bounced her leg. 

“Hey Kiera,” Josie’s voice said from behind her. 

Kiera looked around to find her walking over to the sofa. “Hi.” She sat down next to her and turned on the television. Kiera occasionally looked to the side. “Halle’s in the kitchen.”

“I know,” she replied. “They’re probably talking about baking until everyone else gets here.”

Before she could reply another set of footsteps came from behind them. “Where’s your mother?” A dark skinned man asked Josie. 

“In the kitchen with Halle.” Josie replied, her eyes still focused on the tv. “Dad, this is Kiera.”

He looked over at Kiera who spoke first, “Hi, Mr. Russell.”

“Well hello Kiera.” He replied with an outstretched hand. Kiera glanced down at his arm before she finally shook it. “You’re the new girl, right?” When Kiera nodded he continued. “I assume you’re enjoying your time here? Making new friends and all?”

Kiera looked down at her bag and said, “Yea, it’s been fine.”

“That’s good.” He said. “Josie can you get out the meat for me? I’m going to set up the grill.”

Josie didn’t reply. When Kiera looked over at her she was engrossed in whatever she was watching on the tv. 

“Josie!” Her dad called back as he walked out. “The meat, please.”

“Okay, I’m coming.” Josie groaned. She reluctantly turned off the tv and half jogged to the kitchen leaving Kiera alone again. 

Kiera stood up for a while to see if Halle was coming out anytime soon but she had no such luck. If she had known that the barbeque hadn’t started yet, maybe she wouldn’t have shown up.