18

KIERA

Saturday was another uneventful day as usual. Though Halle asked Kiera to hang out. Apparently, Josie was taking part in a mini skateboarding competition and all her friends were going to watch her. Kiera wondered why she needed to be there since she wasn't sure she constituted a friend, but Halle assured her Josie agreed to it.

She headed to Halle's house to wait for her until she was ready to leave. 

"I'm not sure I liked this one. It kind of digs into my hips," Halle said as she held up some articles of clothing in her hands. "What do you think of this one? Do you like it?" She tossed a dress at Kiera. "I bought it online which was a very bad idea."

Kiera slowly held the dress up and glanced at it for a few seconds. "It looks nice."

"You should take it."

"Why?"

"Because it doesn't fit me and I think you'd look nice in it." When Kiera gave her a skeptical look she added, "Go try it on then."

Kiera sighed but headed to the bathroom anyways. She took her clothes off and pulled the dress over her head. It wasn't made of stretch material which must've been why it couldn't fit Halle. She grabbed her clothes and quickly exited the bathroom only to bump into someone.

"Kiera?"

"Lance."

"You're here."

"Yea."

Lance nodded as his eyes wandered down to what she was wearing. A feeling of warmth engulfed her stomach at this. When he looked up at her again he said, "Cute dress." Then gave her a smile.

Kiera nodded. "Thanks," she uttered and quickly walked away.

The last time she spoke to him was on the phone. Well, they barely spoke because her dad showed up and he'd have a hissy fit if he knew she was chit-chatting with a guy. Though, Kiera had to admit to herself. She was relieved that her dad showed up. Lance might've asked her out again and she wasn't sure how to handle that. 

She quickly entered Halle's room and silently wished away the feelings she had as his eyes trailed over her. She walked over to the full-length mirror as Halle stared at her wide-eyed. "See, I told you. You look hot." Halle's eyes widened as she realized the word she just said.

Kiera chuckled. Her hands ran down the front of the dress as she looked at herself in the mirror. It was a simple white dress with green flowers all over it. The top fitted closely like a corset and was secured with two bows. The bottom was ruffled and flowed out above her knees. It made her seem like she had more weight than her usual baggy attire. It was much more flattering.

"So, do you like it?"

Kiera nodded. "Yea, I do. It is really pretty. But you haven't told me what the clothes are for." She turned to face Halle who sat on her bed.

"Winter Formal," Halle informed her.

"When's that?"

"In December."

Kiera nodded. 

"I have to get a dress early or all the good ones will be gone," Halle said. "Are you going?"

"Parties aren't really my thing."

Haily chuckled. "It's not really a party. More like a school dance. And it's formal...hence the name. I went for the first time last year and it was fun. Just hanging out with friends and no school work looming over our heads."

A slight smile formed on Kiera's face. Halle always seemed to get so lost in whatever she was talking about. It was sweet. 

* * *