Chapter 45: The Cost of Freedom

Start from the beginning

"R-Rojo," Vao stammered.

Leaf was furious about Rojo. And no doubt the creepy figure he mentioned was the First Vao, who took the opportunity to manipulate him like he had so many others. But if the First Vao could take Leaf to the Secret City without being caught by the harpy patrol, then...

He had been here.

Leaf's image disappeared with the flicker of the golem's eyes, his voice ringing through the intercom. "Buckle the fuck up, little pieces of monster-loving shit! 'Cause we're gonna play some Leaf Games! And Yin!? You're first! I fuckin' hate gay people, or bisexual, whatever the fuck you call yourselves!"

The golem raised its foot, the shadow engulfing him. He was rooted to the spot, frozen in terror. Vao sprinted to him, tackling the healer out of the way just as the massive hunk of metal slammed into the ground, the shockwave sending the pair sprawling into the sand.

"We have to run!" Pyrrha screamed. "We can't fight something that big!"

Yin picked his head up, jumping to his feet. "We can't! If we leave, he'll flatten the Secret City! Leaf hates nonhumans!"

Leaf's laughter was the only response, the ancient golem's fist falling towards them. Sasha leapt forward, tearing off her hair tie and letting her hair fall to the middle of her back. "Vao! Tai!"

"Coming!"

The three powerhouses braced themselves, catching the mech's fist before it could crush them, their feet sinking into the ground. Their legs trembled, the sheer weight of the machine threatening to crush them. Ozpin and Yin drew their swords, leaping into the air and slashing at the arm of the golem. But with the first strike, their weapons bounced off.

In the surprise of fighting a robot on Twist, they had forgotten their weapons were nothing compared to the ones they had on Remnant. Leaf laughed hysterically, backhanding them back to the ground.

["Cutting this thing with a fuckin' sword!? God of Light, how the hell did you assholes kill Rojo!?"]

None of them could hold back the golem. Sasha gritted her teeth, shouting out the only thing that would save them from becoming a stain in the desert. "Dive!"

The trio dove to the sides, the metal knuckles driving into the ground with the force of a hundred cannonballs. Tai skidded across the ground, breaking into a roll, Vao's body bouncing, and Sasha sliding back on her feet like an absolute badass.

Yin pulled his staff from its holster, gripping it in his left hand and muttering a miracle under his breath.

"[Heal]!"

Their cuts and scrapes closed, Vao jumping to his feet and nocking three arrows. He drew back is bow and took a deep breath, releasing at the end of his exhale. The arrows whistled through the air, bouncing off the golem's metal skin. It didn't even leave a scratch.

"Th... That didn't work?"

"If a sword can't dent that thing, what makes you think an arrow will!?" Jasper yelled. The fairy flew out of the way as the machine lumbered forward, Leaf laughing loudly.

["C'mon, ya little shits! Fight me! Fuckin' fight me!"]

Sasha looked up, her eyes burning with the angriest look Yin had seen in his life. "Hey, fuckface! Stop standing around making goo-goo eyes! We can't take this thing by ourselves! We'll need help!"

Yin nodded. He knew what she wanted him to do. He pulled Vao to his feet, the two sprinting back towards the city. They could hear Leaf taunting them between his fits of laughter, having the time of his life behind them. They burst through the main gates, weaving through the panicking people as they tried to hide in their houses.