Scene three

Paris enters with his Page.

Paris - Give me your torch, boy. Go away and stay apart from me. Put the torch out, so I can't be seen. Hide under the yew-trees over there. Listen to make sure no one is coming through the graveyard. If you hear anyone, whistle to me to signal that someone is approaching. Give me those flowers. Do as I tell you. Go.

The Page puts out the torch and give Paris the flowers.

Page - (to himself) I am almost afraid to stand alone here in the graveyard, but I'll take the risk.

The Page moves aside.

Paris - (he scatters flowers at Ciara's closed tomb) Sweet flower, I'm spreading flowers over your bridal bed. Oh, pain! Your canopy is dust and stones. I'll water these flowers every night with sweet water. Or, if I don't do that, my nightly rituals to remember you will be to put flowers on your grave and weep.

The Page whistles.

Paris - The boy is warning me that someone approaches. Who could be walking around her tonight? Who's ruining my rituals of true love? It's someone with a torch! I must nide in the darkness for a while.

Paris hides in the darkness. Romeo and Balthasar enter with a torch, a pickax, and an iron crowbar.

Romeo - Give me that pickaxe and the crowbar. (he takes them from Balthasar) Here, take this letter. Early in the morning deliver it to my father. (he gives the letter to Balthasar) Give me the light. (he takes the torch from Balthasar) Swear on your life, I command you, whatever you hear or see, stay away from me and do not interrupt me in my plan. I'm going down into this tomb of the dead, partly to behold my wife's face . But my main reason is to take a precious ring from her dead finger. I must use that ring for an important purpose. So go on your way. But if you get curious and return to spy on me, I swear I'll tear you apart limb by limb and spread your body parts around to feed the hungry animals in the graveyard. My plan is wild and savage. I am more fierce in this endeavor than a hungry tiger or the raging sea.

Balthasar - I'll go, sir, and I won't bother you.

Romeo - That's the way to show me friendship. Take this. (he gives Balthasar money) Live and be prosperous. Farewell, good fellow.

Balthasar - (speaking so that only Paris can hear) Despite what I said, I'll hide nearby. I'm frightened by the look on his face, and I have doubts about his intentions.

Balthasar moves aside and falls asleep.

Romeo - (speaking to the tomb) You horrible mouth of death! You've eaten up the dearest creature on Earth. Now I'm going to force open your rotten jaws and make you eat another body. (Romeo begins to open the tomb with his tools)

Paris - ((speaking so that ROMEO can't hear) It's that arrogant Montague, the one who's been banished. He's the one who murdered my love's cousin Tybalt. They think she died with grief for that cousin. This guy has come here to commit awful crimes against the dead bodies. I'll catch him. (to Romeo) Stop your evil work, vile Montague! Can you take revenge on dead bodies? Condemned villain, I've caught you. Obey and come with me. You must die.

Romeo - I must indeed. That's why I came here. Good and noble young man, don't mess with someone who's desperate. Get away from here and leave me. Think about the ones who have died. Let them put fear in your heart. Please, young man, don't make me angry. I don't want to commit another crime. Oh, go away! I swear, I love you more than I love myself. For I've come here with weapons to use against myself. Don't stay here, go away. Live, and from now on, say a madman mercifully told you to run away.