Scene two

Lord Capulet enters with Lady Capulet, the Nurse, and two or three Servingmen.

Lord Capulet - (giving the First Servingman a piece of paper) Invite all the guests on this list.

The First Servingman exits.

Lord Capulet - (to Second Servingman) Boy, go hire twenty skilled cooks.

Second Servingman - You won't get any bad cooks from me. I'll test them by making them lick their fingers.

Lord Capulet - How can you test them like that?

Second Servingman - Easy, sir. It's a bad cook who can't lick his own fingers. So the cooks who can't lick their fingers aren't hired.

Lord Capulet - Go, get out of here.

The Second Servingman exits.

Lord Capulet - We're unprepared for this wedding celebration. (to the Nurse) What, has my daughter gone to see Friar Lawrence?

Nurse - Yes, that;s true.

Lord Capulet - Well, there's a chance he may do her some good. She's a stubborn little brat.

Ciara enters.

Nurse - Look, she's come home from confession with a happy look on her face.

Lord Capulet - So, my headstrong daughter, where have you been?

Ciara - I went somewhere where I learned that being disobedient to my father is a sin. Holy Father Lawrence instructed me to fall on my knees and beg your forgiveness. (she kneels down) Forgive me, I beg you. From now on I'll do whatever you say.

Lord Capulet - Send for the Count. Go tell him about this. I'll make this wedding happen tomorrow morning.

Ciara - I met the young man at Lawrence's cell. I treated him with the proper love, as well as I could, while still being modest.

Lord Capulet - Well, I'm glad about this. This is good. Stand up.

Ciara stands up.

Lord Capulet - This is the way it should be. I want to see the count. Yes, alright, go, I say, and bring him here. Now, before God, our whole city owes this friar a great debt.

Ciara - Nurse, will you come with me to my closet and help me pick out the clothes and the jewelry I'll need to wear tomorrow?

Lady Capulet - No, not until Thursday. There's plenty of time.

Lord Capulet - Go, Nurse, go with her. We'll have the wedding at the church tomorrow.

Ciara and the Nurse exit.

Lady Capulet - Our supplies will be short for the party. It's already almost night.

Lord Capulet - Don't worry, I will set things in motion. And everything will be alright, I promise you, wife. You should go to Ciara and dress her up. I'm not going to bed tonight. Leave me alone. I'll pretend to be the house-wife for once.

Lady Capulet exits.

Lord Capulet - Hey! What? They're all gone? Well, I will walk by myself to Count Paris to get him ready for tomorrow. My heart is wonderfully happy because this troubled girl has been taken back and now will be married.

Lord Capulet exits.