Scene two

Romeo returns.

Romeo - It's easy for some to joke about scars if they've never been cut.

Ciara enters on the balcony.

Romeo - But wait, what's that light in the window over there?

It is the east, and Ciara is the sun. Rise up, beautiful sun, and kill the jealous moon, The moon is already sick and pale with grief because you, Ciara, her maid, are more beautiful than she. Don't be her maid, because she is jealous. Virginity makes her look sick servant of the green. Only fools hold on to their virginity. Let it go. Oh, there's my lady! Oh ,it is my love. Oh, I wish she knew how much I love her. She's talking, but she's not saying anything. So what? Her eyes are saying something. I will answer them. I am too bold. She's not talking to me. Two of the brightest stars in the whole sky had to go away on business, and they're asking her eyes to twinkle in their places until they return. What if her eyes were in the sky and the stars were in her head?-The brightness of her cheeks would outshine the stars the way the sun outshines a lamp. If her eyes were in the night sky, they would shine so brightly through space that birds would start singing, thinking her light was the light of day. Look how she leans her hand on her cheek. Oh, I wish I was the glove on that hand so that I could touch that cheek.

Ciara - Oh, my!

Romeo - (to himself) She speaks. Oh, speak again, bright angel. You are as glorious as an angel tonight. You shine above me, like a winged messenger from heaven who makes mortal men fall on their backs to look up at the sky, watching the angel walking on the clouds and sailing on the air.

Ciara - (not knowing Romeo hears her) Oh, Romeo, Romeo, why do you have to be Romeo? Forget about your father and change your name. Or else, if you won't change your name, just swear you love me and I'll stop being a Capulet.

Romeo -(to himself) Should I listen for more, or should I speak now?

Ciara - (still not knowing Romeo hears her) It's only your name that's my enemy. You'd still be yourself even if you stopped being a Montague. What's a Montague anyway? It isn't a hand, a foot, an arm, a face, or any other part of a man. Oh, be some other name! What does a name mean? The thing we call a rose would smell just as sweet if we called it by any other name. Romeo would be just as perfect even if he wasn't called Romeo. Romeo, lose your name. Trade in your name-which really has nothing to do with you- and take all of me in exchange.

Romeo - (to Ciara) I trust your words. Just call me your love, and I will take a new name. From now on I will never be Romeo again.

Ciara - Who are you? Why do you hide in the darkness and listen to my private thoughts?

Romeo - I don't know how to tell you who I am by telling you a name. I hate my name, dear saint, because my name is your enemy. If I had it written down, I would tear up the paper.

Ciara - I haven't heard you say a hundred words yet, but I recognize the sound of your voice. Aren't you Romeo? And aren't you a Montague?

Romeo - I am neither of those things if you dislike them.

Ciara - Tell me, how did you get in here? And why did you come? The orchard walls are high, and it's hard to climb over them. If any of my relatives find you here they'll kill you because of who you are.

Romeo - I flew over these walls with the light wings of love. Stone walls can't keep love out. Whatever a man in love can possibly do, his love will make him try to do it. Therefore your relatives are no obstacle.

Ciara - If they see you, they'll murder you.

Romeo - Alas, one angry look from you would be worse than twenty of your relatives with swords. Just look at me kindly, and I'm invincible against their hatred.